John Means 2021

Il BuonO

Just now, Philip said:

Well, my feelings about Brown are well known. If it’s not Thorne or Angel( sadly, already retired) they need to fire everyone and start over, and get some good voices who have something meaningful to say. But Garceau is definitely the worst of the bunch.

Brown is at least a professional play by play guy. Scott is doing his best to not do his radio thing as a play by play guy. It's kind of an unfair position for him. MASN needs to hire a real play by play guy.

7 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

And his command was amazing.  Even the balls he threw were "good balls" - just missing off the plate on the fastball, or just missing down on the changeup.  Pitches I expected the Red Sox to chase and they didn't.  Easily the best start we have ever seen from him.

Have to agree. Went back and watched it again. I especially look at location on misses w/ the CH and he was often just below the zone, a great place to miss w/ that pitch. But also very effective using the FB and CU in sequences w/ the CH. Excellent command of all pitches.

Like I said earlier with Means, though, the CH is key and he certainly had it working yesterday.

1 hour ago, Flash- bd said:

Palmer is an absolute joy to listen to for me, best commentator in baseball in my humble opinion. 

I don’t listen to everyone else, so I can’t say. His analysis is great and it would be hard to top him.

My guess is what stops him from being the best is that he can’t stop talking about himself.  That’s my only issue with him but at least he can make it relevant at times.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t listen to everyone else, so I can’t say. His analysis is great and it would be hard to top him.

My guess is what stops him from being the best is that he can’t stop talking about himself.  That’s my only issue with him but at least he can make it relevant at times.

Melanie Newman asked him if he’d ever had an Opening Day game as good as Means’, and he said no.   He mentioned that he’d won a 1-0 game on OD.   That’s true, he threw 8 shutout innings in a 1-0 win in 1975, then followed that up with a 9 inning 3-hit shutout in 1976.

All those years of Palmer and Moose starting on Opening Day were comforting.   Would be fine by me if Means pitched well enough to warrant being a perennial OD starter.

• Upvote 1

The singular attainer of 7.0 IP as most of the #1 and #2's around the game have taken their first turn.

Believe I saw the Red Sox hadn't been shut out OD since 1976 when.....Jim Palmer (and Dyar Miller?!?!) did it.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197604090.shtml

Suppose that would also have been Fisk, Yaz's next game after the epic conclusion to '75 World Series.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

?? There's nothing crafty about Means. He's got a 93 mph fastball that he can spot in on righties, a devastatingly invisible changeup, and a quality curveball he can throw for strikes or occasionally make people miss on. Capable of striking out a guy per inning. Just because he's left-handed doesn't mean he's "crafty". That's selling his repertoire short.