John Means 2021

Il BuonO

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yep..21.5 swingstr%.  

And his command was amazing.  Even the balls he threw were "good balls" - just missing off the plate on the fastball, or just missing down on the changeup.  Pitches I expected the Red Sox to chase and they didn't.  Easily the best start we have ever seen from him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yardball85 said:

And his command was amazing.  Even the balls he threw were "good balls" - just missing off the plate on the fastball, or just missing down on the changeup.  Pitches I expected the Red Sox to chase and they didn't.  Easily the best start we have ever seen from him.

Yea, if he played a more undisciplined team today, he would have had 8-11 Ks because of some of those pitches you are referring too.

And  when the change is so effective, the fastball in the 80s looks to the batter to be in the 90s, and the batter is often very late on the swing.  He is the shot in the arm the Orioles badly needed this season with the long hot summer coming up.

31 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

And  when the change is so effective, the fastball in the 80s looks to the batter to be in the 90s, and the batter is often very late on the swing.  He is the shot in the arm the Orioles badly needed this season with the long hot summer coming up.

Think Means FB was always 91-93 this start. Unless you’re referring to Valdez. 

Means pitched a masterful game today.  His command and use of the change-up was spot on.  I think he would have had even more strikeouts if not for a very small strike zone today.  He was placing the ball where he wanted it.  I would like to see him mix in that slow curve more often.  Couldn't ask for a better start today.

Only thing missing from Means today was a complete game.  I get the reasoning why we don't see that much anymore.  Still I thought he was cruising enough to do it and make a statement right out of the gate.  It worked out regardless.  

Edited by drdelaware

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

FACTS.

I missed Palmer in the booth.  Just imagine how great it would have been if it was Palmer and Thorne. 

One extremely basic rule of broadcasting is “don’t talk over your partner” and Garceau was doing that constantly. Sheesh.

I was listening to the game, as is my wont, so I have some questions:

were there any well-hit balls off Means that went right at someone?

overall did the pitch-calling help Means out of any serious jams?

Why was Ruiz running into short right field to chase a ball that was within reach of first base and should realistically been called by the 1B, or by the RF, who was actually there and able to catch the ball but pulled up to let Ruiz have it? That play sure looked like it was the RF’s ball.

Just now, interloper said:

It needs to be Kevin full time and the sooner they realize that the better.

Well, my feelings about Brown are well known. If it’s not Thorne or Angel( sadly, already retired) they need to fire everyone and start over, and get some good voices who have something meaningful to say. But Garceau is definitely the worst of the bunch.