The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

13 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Not letting Hall go longer and PH for Stowers was managerial malpractice imo.

I know it's not up to him but Reed better be gone tomorrow and if Urias is done for the year please bring up Westburg instead of Nevin

They are not going to put Westburg on the 40 man for 8 games.  Again he doesn't have to be this year.  Nevin is on the 40 man.  I doubt they will play Nevin unless Varva can't play.

I guess I’ll pile on.  The waste of his challenge on the attempted force at 2nd seemed like it was done out of frustration or desperation.  The runner was clearly safe and it had no chance of being overturned.  I also thought ph for Stowers in the 5th was a bad move even though Aguilar just got under a potential 3-run homer.   I was also surprised that Bradish came out for the third after something like a 34 pitch second inning and 58 thru the first 2.   

His deck of cards is short right now.  Kriehble is on fumes and Jake Reed is not a ML pitcher.  Neither is Logan Gillaspie  who didn’t pitch last night.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I guess I’ll pile on.  The waste of his challenge on the attempted force at 2nd seemed like it was done out of frustration or desperation.  The runner was clearly safe and it had no chance of being overturned.  I also thought ph for Stowers in the 5th was a bad move even though Aguilar just got under a potential 3-run homer.   I was also surprised that Bradish came out for the third after something like a 34 pitch second inning and 58 thru the first 2.   

His deck of cards is short right now.  Kriehble is on fumes and Jake Reed is not a ML pitcher.  Neither is Logan Gillaspie  who didn’t pitch last night.  

I've tried to avoid giving him grief over bullpen usage since, at the end of the day, he's limited by what he's given to work with.

He has to get Hall innings.  He has to find some way to use someone like Reed who I agree is not a ML pitcher.

44 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Hyde should’ve brought in Tate to settle the game down after we tied it 8-8. Even if it was the 4th. Khreibel was going to have to pitch eventually, but not in a “stopper” role after our big inning. 

Yeah, totally agree with this.  We'd just had a huge inning and we bring in Khreibel who had been awful lately.  And then followed by Reed who isn't good.  

I've been extremely unimpressed with Hyde's in-game management down the stretch.  I give him a pass because I don't doubt the team has been on fumes, but some of these basic things, like the refusal to let Stowers face a lefty, just make no sense.

9 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

I usually try to avoid second guessing managers, but I absolutely agree  with your take. I also question Hyde’s refusal to allow Stowers to face LHP when he has absolutely crushed LHP over the last two years in the minors. And then there is the irony of Odor’s  two botched double play balls since his ability to turn the double play was (allegedly) the reason Hyde continued to put him in the lineup.

I would hesitate to say that Vavra is just as good a second baseman as Odor and, believe it or not, he's swinging a hot RBI bat. Henderson's probably better than either and he made two errors in a small set of chances that quite a few people on the OH blame for crushing our playoff hopes.

Edited by LA2

Could it be that Hyde didn't expect to tie the game so he warmed up Reed, then got stuck with him? I wasn't watching but I would be curious to know what the score was when Reed started warming. 

Seems like the underlying problem is Hall is our long man but he is limited to two innings. I understand the limit on Hall, but then we need a true long guy now that Akin is gone. Zimmermann did 6 IP on Saturday so they probably couldn't bring him back. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could it be that Hyde didn't expect to tie the game so he warmed up Reed, then got stuck with him? I wasn't watching but I would be curious to know what the score was when Reed started warming. 

Seems like the underlying problem is Hall is our long man but he is limited to two innings. I understand the limit on Hall, but then we need a true long guy now that Akin is gone. Zimmermann did 6 IP on Saturday so they probably couldn't bring him back. 

We really miss the good Akin and wish we cd have turned Z from his early success this season as a starter into a reliable middle-reliever.