The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hyde going for matchups gets out maneuvered again.  Last series against the Angels their #9 comes up and he brings in Perez and Nevin gets a superior matchup with a RH hitter.  Today, Baumann had elite stuff and is about to face Belt.  Again, he goes for the matchup with Irvin and they counter with Kirk.  Much rather stick with the pitcher in the game with some feel than one coming in cold.

Belt is also hitting .385 with ops of 1.051 in the month of May.  Kirk is hitting .150 in May with Ops of .444 that was a common sense move to rather face a struggling Kirk vs a red hot Belt.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hyde going for matchups gets out maneuvered again.  Last series against the Angels their #9 comes up and he brings in Perez and Nevin gets a superior matchup with a RH hitter.  Today, Baumann had elite stuff and is about to face Belt.  Again, he goes for the matchup with Irvin and they counter with Kirk.  Much rather stick with the pitcher in the game with some feel than one coming in cold.

Neither matchup is particularly good. It's not being out-managed so much as a case of the opposing team having the upper hand in the situation. Baumann is definitely not elite and you have to consider pitch count. As a SP, Irvin is a LHP with slight reverse split accustomed to getting out RHB, far from a LOOGY. Nice attempt at a gotcha but this is a completely defensible move.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Belt is also hitting .385 with ops of 1.051 in the month of May.  Kirk is hitting .150 in May with Ops of .444 that was a common sense move to rather face a struggling Kirk vs a red hot Belt.  

Good point but I’m not sure Belt is really red hot.  He’s struck out 18 times in 51 PA in May with a .636 BABIP.    

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Baumann allowed 3 of the 5 batters he faced to get on base today.  I am not sure that counts as elite when 60% of the guys you get to face reach base.  Baumann got himself in that mess. 

I have to watch again.  I don’t believe there was any hard contact against Baumann.  He’s also got swing and miss stuff and Belt has struck out 40 times in 105 PA against RHP this season.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Man on 2nd, no outs, top 9, tie game

worst batter on team, who belongs in Norfolk, swings away

A bunt probably is a low percentage play there.  Henderson got robbed of a double earlier.  I had no problem there.

29 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Man on 2nd, no outs, top 9, tie game

worst batter on team, who belongs in Norfolk, swings away

I thought it was a terrible at bat.  Hit the ball on the ground the right side.  Not an impossible task.

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Good point but I’m not sure Belt is really red hot.  He’s struck out 18 times in 51 PA in May with a .636 BABIP.    

Yes, he doesn't seem to be red-hot for sure. He can still give the heat if he wants to and has the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why pitch to Judge there?

Not a good move to intentionally put the tying run on base and winning run at the plate. 

Now, once you're up 0-2 your next pitch or two should be attempts to get him to chase. But that's on Bautista for throwing a horrible hanger. 

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why pitch to Judge there?

Zero reason. I’ve been bitching about this for a long time. There’s absolutely no reason whatsoever to throw anything that he can get the bat on. I just cannot understand why they continue to let certain guys bitch them alllll the time. Judge, Arozarena and on and on. 

This is a game that can having lingering effects. Not good to blow it like this.