Connolly: P.A. Announcer Ryan Wagner fired on Opening Day

Moshagge3

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the idea that the new PA announcer is a woman played a huge part in this.  They want to be woke!

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think her being a woman is why he was fired.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Wagner got fired because of his tweets.  

I think a big part of the reason why the team fired him is because they could move onto a woman Pa announcer.  

Keep on trolling though.  

"They fired him so they could hire a woman"
"I don’t think her being a woman is why he was fired."
"Wagner got fired because of his tweets."
"the team fired him because they could move onto a woman Pa announcer."

You don't need me, you troll yourself by contradicting your own words!  

Rofl Rolling On The Floor Laughing GIF - Rofl RollingOnTheFloorLaughing Laugh GIFs

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

"They fired him so they could hire a woman"
"I don’t think her being a woman is why he was fired."
"Wagner got fired because of his tweets."
"the team fired him because they could move onto a woman Pa announcer."

You don't need me, you troll yourself by contradicting your own words!  

Rofl Rolling On The Floor Laughing GIF - Rofl RollingOnTheFloorLaughing Laugh GIFs

So yea, you are really arent that bright. That is what I thought but you keep confirming it.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The first thing they did was put out a press release stating she was the first female PA announcer in Os history.  They couldn’t wait to make a point in saying that.

So yes, I think that’s the narrative they were/are playing up to.  Everyone else is, why not the Os?

I mean...she is the first female PA announcer in Orioles history.  Seems like it should be something to point out.  

Also, I think they were looking for a reason to fire Wagner, and saw their opportunity to do it.  People who have interacted with him do not have a high opinion of him.  He's full of himself, and let that MLB fan cave "fame" get to his head.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, SteveA said:

Wow, hiring a woman who has 17 years of experience at the minor league level to be a major league PA announcer is "woke/liberal" and not just a reasonable replacement?

It can be a little of both, but I think for most people this is a who cares. All due respect to what's his name and what's her name...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I don't really ask for a lot in my P.A. announcer, just that they actually, you know, make the announcements. The P.A. announcer yesterday did not announce Freddy Galvis as a pinch-hitter or Ryan McKenna as a pinch runner. Now, the percentage of people in the crowd that are actually invested in who's running is probably south of 50% (although losing Mancini's bat could have been a big deal if the game had gone to the 11th inning), but if your only job is to make these announcements, why can't you actually do it?

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I don't really ask for a lot in my P.A. announcer, just that they actually, you know, make the announcements. The P.A. announcer yesterday did not announce Freddy Galvis as a pinch-hitter or Ryan McKenna as a pinch runner. Now, the percentage of people in the crowd that are actually invested in who's running is probably south of 50% (although losing Mancini's bat could have been a big deal if the game had gone to the 11th inning), but if your only job is to make these announcements, why can't you actually do it?

Yet, this has never ever happen before in the entire Orioles PA announcer's history of the team.

Nor, does it ever happen at other stadiums, ever.

I know some people used to listen to the game on the radio and ear piece in their ear, just to stay on top of  every minute of the game. At least back in the day of the AM radios. lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

It bothers me that she mispronounces Santander and (somewhat more understandably, as he is a visiting player, Miguel Andujar). It is a really straightforward job. Rely on phonetic pronunciations and get it right.

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yet, this has never ever happen before in the entire Orioles PA announcer's history of the team.

Nor, does it ever happen at other stadiums, ever.

I know some people used to listen to the game on the radio and ear piece in their ear, just to stay on top of  every minute of the game. At least back in the day of the AM radios. lol

What's up with the sarcasm? I don't go to every home game; maybe she was just having an off day. Maybe the previous guy would have missed it, too. But you would want the MASN broadcast to tell you that there was a pinch runner and the Orioles' best hitter was out of the game, why shouldn't the people who paid money to be there be just as informed?

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

What's up with the sarcasm? I don't go to every home game; maybe she was just having an off day. Maybe the previous guy would have missed it, too. But you would want the MASN broadcast to tell you that there was a pinch runner and the Orioles' best hitter was out of the game, why shouldn't the people who paid money to be there be just as informed?

It's clearly sexism. You don't see people on here really nitpicking anything Scott Garceau says or does, for example.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:10 AM, DJHJR86 said:

I mean...she is the first female PA announcer in Orioles history.  Seems like it should be something to point out.  

Also, I think they were looking for a reason to fire Wagner, and saw their opportunity to do it.  People who have interacted with him do not have a high opinion of him.  He's full of himself, and let that MLB fan cave "fame" get to his head.

Not being in Baltimore, I don't know the personalities. But how in the hell can a PA announcer be "full of himself?" I have no idea whether that's true. It just sounds bizarre. And if it is true, how would he keep his job for more than about three days?

As for not nit-picking Garceau, if that's a serious comment, Scott does get criticized fairly often for his mistakes (which are numerous), his lack of audience appeal, and his ignorance about what's going on the game and about baseball generally. (I wouldn't call those nits.) While he's been defended at times because he's not at the ballpark for road games, I don't recall reading a single post praising his announcing. (Maybe I missed them or forget them) Somebody, and I may not get this quite right, has said that Garceau gets negative reviews because he's compared to Gary Thorne, who was an unusually good listen. I get that: when you replace someone who was real good at what he did with someone who's bad at the same thing, it shows.

I think the number and harshness of comments criticizing Garceau have subsided, but if so I am guessing it's because fewer fans bother to watch the games or comment on them, and/or because it's gotten tiresome repeating similar criticisms about Garceau. We know we're stuck with him; he's part of Oriole baseball, and that's just the way it is. Generalissimo Franco is still dead, and Scott Garceau is still a bad announcer for baseball on TV. What's there to say?