Way too early but concerns

eddie83

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

I was impressed by Galvis' bat control on his deliberately restrained oppo RBI-single last night (but not by his other ABs, for sure). He's got a track record and so I haven't given up hope. Would you prefer Valaika there everyday?

Nah, he is a fine place holder, but he is a 31 year-old glove first shortstop. His presence helps the pitchers and whatever he does with the bat is a bonus. Valaika also is who he is, hopefully we will have a young shortstop to get excited about sometime soon.

4 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

I have concerns about the manager.  

Yeah, I get that...long term.  But I don't have concerns that he isn't ok for this developmental stage.  If he develops into a keeper fine.  If not move him.  That really shouldn't be a big concern.  

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Yeah, I get that...long term.  But I don't have concerns that he isn't ok for this developmental stage.  If he develops into a keeper fine.  If not move him.  That really shouldn't be a big concern.  

It's super early but it seems to me the team isn't playing with the same intensity they did last year.  It's probably observer error but I'll throw it out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Who is lagging at the ML 

5 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

But is he developing the players?

Im not really arguing...just idk.  I don't know anyone on the ML level who is lagging seriously behind.  This is really going to be the first year we have guys up who may be part of the future. I think this is the first year that is important to his future, I will put it that way, but I don't think he will be measured with wins/losses.  Im just saying so far, there isn't really evidence to say he is failing at that.....and in fairness you didn't call him a failure you said you were concerned.  I guess Im saying I am too but will wait till the end of this year to really measure.

edit to add:

And going forward points like CoC above will bear watching.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Who is lagging at the ML 

Im not really arguing...just idk.  I don't know anyone on the ML level who is lagging seriously behind.  This is really going to be the first year we have guys up who may be part of the future. I think this is the first year that is important to his future, I will put it that way, but I don't think he will be measured with wins/losses.  Im just saying so far, there isn't really evidence to say he is failing at that.....and in fairness you didn't call him a failure you said you were concerned.  I guess Im saying I am too but will wait till the end of this year to really measure.

I agree not on win/loss. See mental errors and lack of intensity is what concerns me. The 10ks 9 straight games, errors galore etc. 

27 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Letting Hanser Alberto go looks even worse than it did at the time.  The offense from the infield other than Mancini (I think he bounces back) looks pathetic.  Meanwhile Hanser is batting .308 for the Royals.  Once pitchers get to the back end of our lineup, they have it easy. 

Why keep a pretty good player around if you have an inferior alternative who isn't eligible yet for salary arbitration?   

This team's motto for this season might as well be "Lose as many games as possible, for as little salary as possible".

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Why keep a pretty good player around if you have an inferior alternative who isn't eligible yet for salary arbitration?   

This team's motto for this season might as well be "Lose as many games as possible, for as little salary as possible".

Too wordy, won't fit on a banner.

How about Lose more, Pay less? 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Letting Hanser Alberto go looks even worse than it did at the time.  The offense from the infield other than Mancini (I think he bounces back) looks pathetic.  Meanwhile Hanser is batting .308 for the Royals.  Once pitchers get to the back end of our lineup, they have it easy. 

I'm starting to be surprised anyone thinks Elias can evaluate talent.  It seems to be his biggest blind spot.  The defense on this team has gone backwards, the best parts of the major league team 3 years in are still products of the last leadership group.