Angelos wants both Tex and Burnett?

JTrea81

According to this George King article in the NY Post:

Orioles owner Peter Angelos is talking about going after first baseman Mark Teixeira and Burnett. Each is from Maryland.

I haven't actually seen anything saying that. I've see articles with MacPhail saying we'd look into FA's with hometown ties, but nothing from Angelos concerning those two players directly. So this is the first time I've seen that in print...

Anyway, this is good news for Orioles fans. It looks like we could have that offseason that so many of us want.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take Burnett on a short-term contract, three years maximum.

I still have no confidence in our ability to sign Tex, but we could drive the price way up for the Red Sox and Yankees. That's the biggest victory I imagine we have in the battle for Severna Park's golden boy.

I still have no confidence in our ability to sign Tex, but we could drive the price way up for the Red Sox and Yankees. That's the biggest victory I imagine we have in the battle for Severna Park's golden boy.

I tend to agree. Why would someone like Tex want to play in B'More? "Regional Bias" rarely works in favor of us.

Since we all want Tex, I'm betting the "Meddling Owner" reference doesn't apply here.

Actually, this is a case where I do hope PA handles the negotiations personally. Let AM work on extending Roberts and Markakis and finding a SS.

With the way AM goes about doing business, a kernal of corn is having his plate full.

If AM handles trying to sign Tex and Burnett, come december I see a lot of "I've spoken with the agent, but no parameters have been discussed" or "We're exploring all avenues" type quotes. And I've already grown tired of those tag-lines when he's asked about Roberts and Markakis.

Yeah, driving the price up for two teams that basically have no restrictions when it comes to payroll, that will show them.

And the BJ's already have a 4 year deal on the table, so a 3 year offer won't get it done.

According to this George King article in the NY Post:

I haven't actually seen anything saying that. I've see articles with MacPhail saying we'd look into FA's with hometown ties, but nothing from Angelos concerning those two players directly. So this is the first time I've seen that in print...

Anyway, this is good news for Orioles fans. It looks like we could have that offseason that so many of us want.

Sounds like a regurgitation of what is already known - Baltimore will pursue FA with local ties.

We're going to have a very interesting offseason, until Tex and Burnett's futures are resolved. Then, it will be slightly interesting to see what direction we're heading and what we can pull into the stable.

Yeah, driving the price up for two teams that basically have no restrictions when it comes to payroll, that will show them.

And the BJ's already have a 4 year deal on the table, so a 3 year offer won't get it done.

Unless the man wants to see his kids most every day.....

My question is this. Will the money for Tex and Burnett still be available for other free agents when they don't sign here?

Because with the same money you could give them you could also get Furcal, Dunn and 2 decent pitchers or Furcal and an entire enough money to have a decent rotation.

Perhaps the Orioles would deem none of those guys worthy of big contracts?

And, other than Dunn(and it would depend on what it would take to get him), they would be right.

My question is this. Will the money for Tex and Burnett still be available for other free agents when they don't sign here?

Because with the same money you could give them you could also get Furcal, Dunn and 2 decent pitchers or Furcal and an entire enough money to have a decent rotation.

I sure hope not. Top FA or little to no FA. That should be the mantra. STOP signing middling talent. That is where we need to fill from within. Tying up money with the Moras of the world has been part of the problem.

Archived