2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

52 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Is Bradish our new top pitching prospect after Grayson, Hall and Baumann?

I ask not just because of his excellent results, but I think I've heard some genuine hype around him somewhere.

I watched his last start and it's hard not to get too excited. He's throwing around 94, and he has a slider and curve that both are swing and miss pitches. The fastball can still be hit a bit if he misses his spot, but he does get some swing and miss as well.

Right now, he very well could be right behind Baumann. 

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Zimmermann and Kremer graduated from the list and we have lots of movement in the bottom of the list once again.

Updated as of May 31st.

Sad to see Wells and Bannon dropping, but I get it.   

The one that surprised me is Adam Stauffer dropping from 25 to 31.  He’s 3-0 with an 0.93 ERA, 14 K’s in 9.2 IP.   Why the big drop for him?    

I'd really like to see Joey Ortiz move up into the top 20, maybe even 15, by the end of the year.  I think that would give more confidence that he is a candidate to take over the 2B or SS spot on the big league club.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Sad to see Wells and Bannon dropping, but I get it.   

The one that surprised me is Adam Stauffer dropping from 25 to 31.  He’s 3-0 with an 0.93 ERA, 14 K’s in 9.2 IP.   Why the big drop for him?    

From the few velocity reports I've gotten from broadcasters his velocity is still in the 89-91 range and the team is using him in short stints vs stretching him out like others. Neither are good signs for him. I haven't been overly impressed with the stuff in the few games I've watched him this year. He was a guy we hoped would be starting and would have gotten a velocity bump by this time. We'll keep an eye on him but I'm putting a lot into the roles that the organization is using them in right now. 

It's very hard to be considered a prospect in the low minors while being used as a one or two inning guy unless  they have high velocity.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I'd really like to see Joey Ortiz move up into the top 20, maybe even 15, by the end of the year.  I think that would give more confidence that he is a candidate to take over the 2B or SS spot on the big league club.

He's been a mover this year for sure. The fact they moved him all the way up to Bowie already shows what they think of him, though they did need to clear up space in Aberdeen for Westburg. 

I like Ortiz defensively at SS even though his arm is not going to wow anyone. If he puts up numbers at Bowie he will continue to climb the rankings.

• Thanks 1

I buried a mention in another thread, but Xavier Moore caught my attention as someone to watch. He falls off to the first base side, and his control isn't good. But he's throwing 95, up to 97. His slider has a lot of movement to it. And while his curve isn't overwhelming, it does give him a change of speed that seems to surprise hitters who are gearing up to hit the FB. He's a fairly big guy and he has a big presence. Old scouting reports seem to show he's added some zip to his FB, and filled out his frame a good deal. Not suggesting he belongs on the bubble list, but he should be on the bubble bubble. The guy I really can't figure out is Prizina. I look at his FB and it looks like 90-91, but it's actually 86-88. He has really good command, his slider produces a lot of missed bats, and his numbers are fantastic. I watch him pitch and I don't understand why people can't seem to hit him. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I buried a mention in another thread, but Xavier Moore caught my attention as someone to watch. He falls off to the first base side, and his control isn't good. But he's throwing 95, up to 97. His slider has a lot of movement to it. And while his curve isn't overwhelming, it does give him a change of speed that seems to surprise hitters who are gearing up to hit the FB. He's a fairly big guy and he has a big presence. Old scouting reports seem to show he's added some zip to his FB, and filled out his frame a good deal. Not suggesting he belongs on the bubble list, but he should be on the bubble bubble. The guy I really can't figure out is Prizina. I look at his FB and it looks like 90-91, but it's actually 86-88. He has really good command, his slider produces a lot of missed bats, and his numbers are fantastic. I watch him pitch and I don't understand why people can't seem to hit him. 

I've been paying attention to Moore in the boxscores, but haven't watched him pitch yet. His professional stats besides the strikeouts leave a lot to be desired though. As you know, 95 to 97 can sometimes dominate lower level hitters but he'll need to command it better to have success moving up the chain. Still, I'll give him a little closer look.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've been paying attention to Moore in the boxscores, but haven't watched him pitch yet. His professional stats besides the strikeouts leave a lot to be desired though. As you know, 95 to 97 can sometimes dominate lower level hitters but he'll need to command it better to have success moving up the chain. Still, I'll give him a little closer look.

Yeah, that's exactly why I wouldn't advocate including him yet. His delivery has him falling off badly to the left side, and it's certainly high effort. He walks too many, and you can see why. But he does have that live arm and good stuff. And he has a presence to him. You get the sense these kids are scared to dig in against him (probably personal safety). They need to work on him mechanically, but he's worth a side note. 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, Tony-OH said:

I watched his last start and it's hard not to get too excited. He's throwing around 94, and he has a slider and curve that both are swing and miss pitches. The fastball can still be hit a bit if he misses his spot, but he does get some swing and miss as well.

Right now, he very well could be right behind Baumann. 

I’d argue that Bradish has passed Baumann for now.

He has done great this year, already earning a promotion and Baumann is still on his way back.  

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d argue that Bradish has passed Baumann for now.

He has done great this year, already earning a promotion and Baumann is still on his way back.  

I'm not ready to move him ahead of Baumann since we haven't seen a fully stretched out and ready Baumann yet. He very will could end up ahead of him at some point, but I need to see more of both this year to make that call.

• Upvote 1

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but 2020 was the second Elias draft? If so, it’s really good to see a lot of players from those drafts doing so well, especially Henderson and Westburg. Also, love seeing prospects that some people weren’t that excited about when the trades happened like Bradish and Vavra high on the list too. I really like what I’m seeing in the minors right now and the direction we seem headed. 

On 6/5/2021 at 5:42 PM, osravensfan78 said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but 2020 was the second Elias draft? If so, it’s really good to see a lot of players from those drafts doing so well, especially Henderson and Westburg. Also, love seeing prospects that some people weren’t that excited about when the trades happened like Bradish and Vavra high on the list too. I really like what I’m seeing in the minors right now and the direction we seem headed. 

Just to clarify, Henderson was from the 2019 draft, not 2020. Bradish and Vavra look like the big take aways so far from the trades, but Kevin Smith is also looking good with a wipe out slider that he commands well. Brnovich and Peak look pretty good as well, but still need to work on the command. Don't sleep on Jahmai Jones either. Not sure where his best position is yet but I think that stick has a chance to play.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1