2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Blaine Knight has really taken some big steps to reestablishing himself as a starting pitching prospect and Joey Ortiz was making big strides before going down with an injury. Luckily, Cadyn Grenier has really made some strides with the bat though he still struggles on sliders away. 

Ofelky Peralta (96-98) and Felix Bautista (97-100) are two of the hardest throwing pitchers in the system not named Grayson Rodriguez or DL Hall, and both are throwing more quality strikes.

That’s a real solid top 50. Hopefully with deadline deals and the draft, that Elias can push that out near 75. That’s what the depth is the good organizations have. 

Nevin is someone I’m more bullish than his ranking from the list. On pace for 20 HR in AAA at 23. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:01 PM, LookinUp said:

I saw something from Meoli (?) today that made it sound like Adam Hall started slow but has been coming on a bit. His fall in your power rankings this year has been under mentioned, IMO. He's almost an after thought. Hopefully it was just an extended slump and he's now righted the ship.

There is a lot of miss in a bat that doesn't generate a lot of power. Defensively he's probably best at second base but I haven't seen him challenged in CF yet. He does not have the arm to play SS effectively. I just don't know what he is at the major league level. Maybe a utility guy? 

21 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s a real solid top 50. Hopefully with deadline deals and the draft, that Elias can push that out near 75. That’s what the depth is the good organizations have. 

Nevin is someone I’m more bullish than his ranking from the list. On pace for 20 HR in AAA at 23. 

Nevin is 24 and he really doesn't have a position other than 1B. He's a Ryan Mountcastle type without the ability to hit for average (Mountcastle will end up hitting for average) and doesn't have the track record of consistent hitting. I like him a bit and do think he has a little upside, but I'm not convinced he's an everyday guy and if not, what is he? 

• Upvote 1

I’m so happy to see this list expanding with players emerging and being added with start of the rookie leagues. I’m very interested to see where Hernandez debuts. And there’s the obvious influx coming as 2021 draftees join us later. There’s obviously some disappointments this year, but there are more of the pleasant surprises. Tony has done a really nice job in this list! I think the only one that jumps out at me is Neustrom. Maybe he’s just on a hot streak, but he doesn’t look at all like the guy I had him pegged to be. The added power could change his outlook. Hope it’s not a fluke. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No real position and no game power. 

I know the O's are going data heavy, and covid caused a massive revenue issue and it appears they're stripping every cost they can perhaps in preparation for a sale, but I sure wish they'd retain enough actual people to get eyes on players more often. 

Not that Welk was a massive cost, but it seems to me like the data has some blind spots too. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I know the O's are going data heavy, and covid caused a massive revenue issue and it appears they're stripping every cost they can perhaps in preparation for a sale, but I sure wish they'd retain enough actual people to get eyes on players more often. 

Not that Welk was a massive cost, but it seems to me like the data has some blind spots too. 

I’d say Welk was a well-spent 21st round draft pick.

Also, where are you getting the info that the O’s don’t get eyes on the guys they draft?   Welk was seen by O’s scout Gary Shesko and others:

Welk hit what he called the best home run of his life in front of Orioles associate scout Gary Shesko, who passed his recommendation on to area scout Nathan Showalter — son of former Orioles manager Buck Showalter. Both ended up liking what they saw, and the Orioles brought him in for a workout at Camden Yards.