2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Big jump for Jahmai Jones as well.  Has his defense at 2B improved?  Can we expect to see him in Baltimore soon?

Doran Turchin back on the radar.  .975 OPS in 50 plate appearances in Bowie.  I remember the scouting report on him was that he was an athletic outfielder with power but the hit tool was questionable.  He struggled in Delmarva as a 21 year old.  Has he made adjustments?  Still only 23 years old.  

It seems everyone at Bowie is hitting right now.  Norfolk could use the help. 

Haven't seen enough of his Jones' of late to make a call there, but he's hitting the ball well since his return. 

Very small sample size, but really like Turchin's approach at the plate. his home run yesterday was on a slider and was a bomb to left center. It's almost like the team used him as an org guy by jumping him to AA with no High-A after very little playing time in Delmarva this year, but he's showing that he's somebody to keep an eye on so far.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, Tony-OH said:

Haven't seen enough of his Jones' of late to make a call there, but he's hitting the ball well since his return. 

Very small sample size, but really like Turchin's approach at the plate. his home run yesterday was on a slider and was a bomb to left center. It's almost like the team used him as an org guy by jumping him to AA with no High-A after very little playing time in Delmarva this year, but he's showing that he's somebody to keep an eye on so far.

I said in Jones' thread that he looks the part.  So does Turchin.  His OPS is up to .935 after hitting his 4th homer for Bowie.  Stowers and Watson - picked 71 and 79 in 2019 - are both doing well in Aberdeen, but as you alluded to, it's interesting that Turchin was promoted ahead of them.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated with some lower end movement. 

Thanks for the update. Diaz’s injuries are rightfully hurting his status. I think if we would just leave McKenna in AAA for an extended period of time that he might be breaking out right now. 

Hopefully Mayo mashes when he debuts and really makes this a hard list up top. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My current top 15 (as a power ranking, not necessarily a top prospect ranking) would look like this:

Adley

GRod

Hall

Gunnar

Westburg

Bradish

Vavra

Jones

Haskin

Diaz

Smith

Brnovich

Mundy

Knight

Baumann

BTW, is there a way to get rid of the double spacing on posts?

Hmm let me check.

1. Adley
  2. GRod
  3. Hall

Yea, seems to be a way.

I never would have guessed the tool for making numbers lists would be good for making numbered lists.

Not sure why more folks don't use that function, I think they forget it is there.

Edited by Can_of_corn
fixed spelling and added the last line.
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Just a few minor nitpicks for accuracy.  Kevin Smith is at Norfolk now.    JD Mundy is at Aberdeen......Gunnar also.    Jahmai Jones should be at AAA.

Thanks, I typical focus on the rankings more than remembering to change their affiliates when they move around. I'll get to the changes here shortly though, thanks.

Thanks.

Question  - Who are the players that have taken the biggest leaps forward this year?  We do have a couple of undrafted FAs from 2020 who are off to good starts.  But otherwise, are there players who are far exceeding expectations this year?

10 minutes ago, connja said:

Thanks.

Question  - Who are the players that have taken the biggest leaps forward this year?  We do have a couple of undrafted FAs from 2020 who are off to good starts.  But otherwise, are there players who are far exceeding expectations this year?

Blaine Knight has really taken some big steps to reestablishing himself as a starting pitching prospect and Joey Ortiz was making big strides before going down with an injury. Luckily, Cadyn Grenier has really made some strides with the bat though he still struggles on sliders away. 

Ofelky Peralta (96-98) and Felix Bautista (97-100) are two of the hardest throwing pitchers in the system not named Grayson Rodriguez or DL Hall, and both are throwing more quality strikes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

I saw something from Meoli (?) today that made it sound like Adam Hall started slow but has been coming on a bit. His fall in your power rankings this year has been under mentioned, IMO. He's almost an after thought. Hopefully it was just an extended slump and he's now righted the ship.

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I saw something from Meoli (?) today that made it sound like Adam Hall started slow but has been coming on a bit. His fall in your power rankings this year has been under mentioned, IMO. He's almost an after thought. Hopefully it was just an extended slump and he's now righted the ship.

.937 OPS in his last 14 games, with 10 stolen bases in that span.   Still, his overall numbers are poor except for his 20 stolen bases with only one caught stealing.