Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'll take this one point at a time.

I think that if the player can improve as well or better at the major league level and is an improvement for the ML team he should be promoted. We have no way of knowing if a player can improve as well or better at the ML level. It's unknowable. Therefore, he should be promoted when it's clear the level he is currently at is no longer a challenge. That's the best evidence we have.

I think the O's of 2021 are clearly a better team with him playing for them and I think he's experienced enough that he can learn as much, if not more, in the majors as he can playing in AA. I agree that the team is better with Adley on it right now, although that's completely meaningless in 2021. I don't really disagree that he can learn on the fly in the bigs, I just don't really care to see him do that until he dominates AA. Why take any chances with a player of this magnitude? Play it as safe as you can. Let him work out of slumps at the AA level.

Dude is 23.  He's not some young kid.  Most guys with his level of ability have been in the majors for multiple seasons at that age. It's not the Orioles' fault that he's 23 and missed almost 2 full years of pro ball. Ideally he would have torn through AA last year at age 22, but there was a global pandemic if you recall. So now he's 23. But he's catching up on the learning he would have done at age 22. We can't set the precedent of rushing prospects when they miss full years. Do we do that with guys after year-long injuries? No, so why would we do it now. 

So what does "Destroying worlds" look like?  Do you need EVERY player to be "Destroying Worlds" before they get promoted?  Was Manny "Destroying Worlds"?  Was Schoop?  Was Means? No, not everyone needs to destroy their level, but you certainly like to see them dominate. Like I already said, most of the time you just have to promote a guy regardless of his performance level. For a guy like Adley, though, a .900 OPS with 11 homers at AA is definitely good enough to get him to AAA. I dunno about MLB. I'd like to see him do even more. If he doesn't, then no biggie, you promote him eventually anyway. For me, there's more there for him to learn in the minors. 

Do I think he will be promoted in 2021? I think it's fairly likely, which would fall in line with how you perceived Mountcastle. Elias promoted him later than you liked, but he still did promote him within that same season. (edit: it seems you wanted him promoted in 2019, which, again, I disagree.) Adley I could see the same thing, but I also don't think we are factoring in a potential strike as much as we should be. 

Sorry but I have to ask.

Why would you be against a September callup for Mountcastle in 2019?  After the AAA season was over.

How could that have not helped his development?  He could have played some outfield, got some coaching from the ML coaches, seen some ML pitching.  How could you be against that?

I'm legitimately curious how you could not think that was a good thing for the player.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry but I have to ask.

Why would you be against a September callup for Mountcastle in 2019?  After the AAA season was over.

How could that have not helped his development?  He could have played some outfield, got some coaching from the ML coaches, seen some ML pitching.  How could you be against that?

I'm legitimately curious how you could not think that was a good thing for the player.

I dunno man, I just don't put a lot of stock into a September call up doing much of anything for a player. Just look at his 2021. After a month of killing it in 2020, he struggled for the first third or so of this season. What did that month in 2020 do for him? He's a WORSE outfielder now than he was in 2020. He's had WORSE ABs now than in 2020. He's come around since then, but he's still working off that .515 April OPS and has yet to post a .800 OPS month. 

Clock gaming is real, for sure, and Elias is definitely doing some of it, but not to any criminal degree. .871 OPS is nice in AAA, but I don't blame Elias for wanting to see if he could get more out of the guy. This is a cornerstone piece and you want to be sure about it. And, if you get an extra year along the way, great. We all know there will be no extensions, after all, until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I dunno man, I just don't put a lot of stock into a September call up doing much of anything for a player. Just look at his 2021. After a month of killing it in 2020, he struggled for the first third or so of this season. What did that month in 2020 do for him? He's a WORSE outfielder now than he was in 2020. He's had WORSE ABs now than in 2020. He's come around since then, but he's still working off that .515 April OPS and has yet to post a .800 OPS month. 

Clock gaming is real, for sure, and Elias is definitely doing some of it, but not to any criminal degree. .871 OPS is nice in AAA, but I don't blame Elias for wanting to see if he could get more out of the guy. This is a cornerstone piece and you want to be sure about it. And, if you get an extra year along the way, great. We all know there will be no extensions, after all, until proven otherwise. 

He posted a 1.015 OPS in June. 

• Upvote 1

As I said elsewhere, i think there must be some therapeutic benefit for people to keep bringing it up over and over again when they know the path forward is already all but decided.   Now I likely will not participate in that discussion anymore, but I hope they get the benefit they are seeking.