Orioles Avoid A Boston Sweep (Game Recap)

cboemmeljr

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

A tip of the cap to the entire pitching staff in this  game. Nicely done. 

Watching Valdez work his craft in the ninth was ?!  Papa Frito likes to toy with his adversaries before making them succumb.

• Upvote 1

Last night looked like one of those “going through the motions” games for Boston.

Had this been the Os on a Sunday, people would be talking about how lazy the team looked.  Boston wasn’t seeing pitches, especially early in the game, at all last night.  It looked like they didn’t want to be there.

Lopez recently intrigues me. It's clear to me that there's some talent and value there. How to harness and use it?

Fry scares me.

Valdez entertains me. I really enjoy watching him when he's on. I just hope this team can give him more save opportunities than he's had recently.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Lopez recently intrigues me. It's clear to me that there's some talent and value there. How to harness and use it?

Fry scares me.

Valdez entertains me. I really enjoy watching him when he's on. I just hope this team can give him more save opportunities than he's had recently.

Why does Fry scare you?  1.26 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 13.2 K/9.   He’s allowed more than one hit in an outing only twice in 16 outings.   He’s only allowed a run twice in 16 outings.   He’s been excellent.  

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why does Fry scare you?  1.26 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 13.2 K/9.   He’s allowed more than one hit in an outing only twice in 16 outings.   He’s only allowed a run twice in 16 outings.   He’s been excellent.  

He's pitching great, but I keep thinking he's about to go over the edge and become another Armstrong. Like last night. He came in with the bases clear and a one-run lead, and it looked like he couldn't (or wouldn't) throw a strike. Then with a 3-0 count he turned on a dime and mowed down the side. He just makes me uncomfortable.

I'm disappointed that our relievers have been allowing inherited runners to score and costing the team and our starters the opportunity to win games.  Relief ERA's look good but some, like Armstrong and Scott have failed in these situations lately.  Would also help if our offense could give the starters decent leads.

15 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I'm disappointed that our relievers have been allowing inherited runners to score and costing the team and our starters the opportunity to win games.  Relief ERA's look good but some, like Armstrong and Scott have failed in these situations lately.  Would also help if our offense could give the starters decent leads.

Right now our bulllen has allowed 38% of inherited runners to score, compared to league average 35%.   So, a little below average.   The worst culprits are Armstrong 7/9, Plutko 8/17, Scott 4/8 and Sulser 2/3.    Of course, you’d have to look at the situations when they were brought into the game.   Bases loaded and nobody out is a lot different than runner on 1st and two out.   Plutko has come into two games with bases loaded nobody out, and another two games with two runners on and nobody out.   Those are very tough situations.  

By the way, Orioles relievers have inherited more runners than any other team’s relievers.   Average is 47, we are at 74.   

• Thanks 1