Orioles looking at SS options

Sports Guy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go get him but don't give up much to get him.

Exactly...he should be a salary dump for them. He'd be a guy we could extend for a couple of seasons as well. Maybe we tear up his contract and offer him a 3 year deal.

I get the feeling if we go after Greene, then we're likely to keep Roberts and extend him.

Then the Brewers were never serious about trading Hardy. No team is going to offer them their two top pitching prospects for Hardy. He's good but he's not THAT good.

I dunno, Hardy is pretty awesome.

He is one of the better defensive shortstops around, and also puts up very good numbers offensively. He is still relatively young.

There aren't a lot of guys I'd rather have at shortstop than JJ Hardy. Just not willing to give up what the Brewers will really want.

I tend to think it would be more of a Guthrie, Arrieta etc deal they'd be looking for. Basically, a ML starter with a good amount of service time left, and a very good pitching prospect.

As much as I love Hardy, I'd pass on that type of deal.

No thanks. Weren't we supposed to be targeting a long-term shorstop that can not only defend, but hit too?

Would rather us go after Donald, Cedeno, Wood or Lillibridge if we are going to trade for a SS.

I see no problem with Greene. He has carried a .976 career fielding percentage which is about the same as Jeter.

He has hit 27 home runs in a strong pitchers division in '07. He may not be a top-of-lineup guy, but I think he'd be better than most realistic alternatives for his prime years at the right price.

I see no problem with Greene. He has carried a .976 career fielding percentage which is about the same as Jeter.

He has hit 27 home runs in a strong pitchers division in '07. He may not be a top-of-lineup guy, but I think he'd be better than most realistic alternatives for his prime years at the right price.

Exactly.

I definitely do not want Hardy. I mean, I'd love to have Hardy, but not at what it would cost us. We can't afford to give up any of our major pitching prospects.

Go get Greene or another relatively cheap prospect like Cedeno or Hu that could pan out to be decent enough. We can't afford to have top players at every single position.

That only matters if they are willing to give up something good or if they want the Pads to eat salary.

Excellent point SG. What is a realistic three way trade to net us Greene and the Braves get what they want and the Pads get what they want? I feel as if we are a bit handicapped on the players we can offer in such a deal so the deal is fair and allows us to get better as a team, as apposed to us being basically the same team talent wise and we hinder our growth (young players).

What's the consensus on hardy? Is he young/good enough to be a long term replacement. And though the price may be more than others, would it be worth trading say an Arrieta+ to get him? Those numbers would look great in this lineup.

I'd say the cost would be higher than just Arrieta & probably too much.

personally i would like to go after a free agent.maybe a R.Furcal or E.Renteria.i understand these guys are a little older then the names i have been reading but i am not sure i wanna give up some of this young talent in the orioles organization.

i like that we are rebuilding and trying to start from the bottom and working our way up.id like to see a 2 or 3 year deal and get a good/solid defenzive SS with average offensive numbers.i am tired of seeing us throw guys off of washington blvd. in there.

personally i would like to go after a free agent.maybe a R.Furcal or E.Renteria.i understand these guys are a little older then the names i have been reading but i am not sure i wanna give up some of this young talent in the orioles organization.

i like that we are rebuilding and trying to start from the bottom and working our way up.id like to see a 2 or 3 year deal and get a good/solid defenzive SS with average offensive numbers.i am tired of seeing us throw guys off of washington blvd. in there.

A good way to keep the young talent in organization from continuing to improve would be to sign Edgar Renteria to a multi-year deal, thus costing us our second round pick in next years draft, and locking us in a multi-million dollar, multi-year deal to a declining player that won't put us over the top, basically the same mistake we've made the past 7 or 8 years.

A good way to keep the young talent in organization from continuing to improve would be to sign Edgar Renteria to a multi-year deal, thus costing us our second round pick in next years draft, and locking us in a multi-million dollar, multi-year deal to a declining player that won't put us over the top, basically the same mistake we've made the past 7 or 8 years.

i understand your point but maybe you wanna take a look at mine.when was the lasttime(before AM)this team has drafted top talent through the draft.i am no GM nor do i know every in and outs to making a free agent signing.

i dont see this team as far off as most people do.renteria is only ONE option there are others out there that we could take a look at but i am guessing you got tired and really didnt feel like reading my entire post.

i understand your point but maybe you wanna take a look at mine.when was the lasttime(before AM)this team has drafted top talent through the draft.i am no GM nor do i know every in and outs to making a free agent signing.

i dont see this team as far off as most people do.renteria is only ONE option there are others out there that we could take a look at but i am guessing you got tired and really didnt feel like reading my entire post.

Whoa.

Let's see. First off, when was the last time we drafted top talent in the draft? Well, we have the best position prospect in all of baseball ready to get to the majors, so there is a start. We have perhaps the best righty-lefty punch in the minors in all of baseball (although we traded for Tillman, not drafted). Our current right fielder (who is pretty good) was drafted long before AM was in charge.

Basically, my point is don't give away draft picks unless you are getting an elite player. Teixeira, Burnett? Sure, I don't mind losing a pick. Edgar Renteria, who is in rapid decline? No thanks.

I also disagree that we are that close to competing. I strongly doubt we are going to compete next year even with some solid production out of the shortstop position.

I do agree that there are other options out there, but the FA options just aren't that good. Renteria and Cabrera would cost a pick, and are both declining and not really even good offensive players anymore. Furcal has a rough injury history and will be very expensive.

The way to go is to either get a guy who had a down year as a buy-low candidate (Greene) or acquire a young guy who may be blocked (Arias, Hu etc.)

Whoa.

Let's see. First off, when was the last time we drafted top talent in the draft? Well, we have the best position prospect in all of baseball ready to get to the majors, so there is a start. We have perhaps the best righty-lefty punch in the minors in all of baseball (although we traded for Tillman, not drafted). Our current right fielder (who is pretty good) was drafted long before AM was in charge.

Basically, my point is don't give away draft picks unless you are getting an elite player. Teixeira, Burnett? Sure, I don't mind losing a pick. Edgar Renteria, who is in rapid decline? No thanks.

I also disagree that we are that close to competing. I strongly doubt we are going to compete next year even with some solid production out of the shortstop position.

I do agree that there are other options out there, but the FA options just aren't that good. Renteria and Cabrera would cost a pick, and are both declining and not really even good offensive players anymore. Furcal has a rough injury history and will be very expensive.

The way to go is to either get a guy who had a down year as a buy-low candidate (Greene) or acquire a young guy who may be blocked (Arias, Hu etc.)

not being an ass here but was wondering if you could tell me how it works when signing a free agent?i have heard of it a few times but how does it work?

you are right about markakis.there is no denying his talent.but thank AM for wieters if it wasnt for him peter the ass would have never made it happen to get him.

Archived