Patrick Dorrian?

bpilktree

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently his defense at 3B is atrocious.  I don't think he gets protected. 

I've been watching him play this entire series and he's looked pretty good at 3B, making all the plays, including a double-play. I haven't seen him make any difficult plays, but he certainly hasn't looked atrocious. 

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently his defense at 3B is atrocious.  I don't think he gets protected. 

I wouldn't call his defense atrocious. I'd probably refer to it as inconsistent. He actually looks good over there at times and has a strong arm, but he's shaky at times. i don't think he's going to get protected as a 25-year old platoon 3B, but I do think he'll be the Norfolk Tides 3B next year.

He hasn't hit a ton since July slashing .218/.350/.411/.761 in 240 PAs so he could repeat AA if Bannon is still around at AAA.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I wouldn't call his defense atrocious. I'd probably refer to it as inconsistent. He actually looks good over there at times and has a strong arm, but he's shaky at times. i don't think he's going to get protected as a 25-year old platoon 3B, but I do think he'll be the Norfolk Tides 3B next year.

He hasn't hit a ton since July slashing .218/.350/.411/.761 in 240 PAs so he could repeat AA if Bannon is still around at AAA.

I like the idea of him returning to Bowie next year. The things he needs to work on (hitting lefties and throwing) are better accomplished by a return to AA. His power and on-base tools are worth our patience. While he hasn't hit lefties well all season, he does draw a lot of walks against them. So I'm not ready to label him a platoon guy yet. I agree I don't think he'll get protected, but for his sake and ours I really hope he doesn't get drafted because I can't see any way it will benefit his development. I'd make him face LHP all winter. 

18 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I like the idea of him returning to Bowie next year. The things he needs to work on (hitting lefties and throwing) are better accomplished by a return to AA. His power and on-base tools are worth our patience. While he hasn't hit lefties well all season, he does draw a lot of walks against them. So I'm not ready to label him a platoon guy yet. I agree I don't think he'll get protected, but for his sake and ours I really hope he doesn't get drafted because I can't see any way it will benefit his development. I'd make him face LHP all winter. 

Sending him back to AA next year at age 26 is fine - as long as we realize that means we don't consider him a legit prospect.     

30 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Sending him back to AA next year at age 26 is fine - as long as we realize that means we don't consider him a legit prospect.     

Whatever label we want to assign him, he needs more work. He's only had 935 minor league at bats, so I'm keeping an open mind with his development. His on-base tools are really good, so I think that's worth the patience to see if he can improve the holes in his game. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He had only played in 164 MILB games prior to this year.  He’s a must protect. Must start everyday at AAA. There’s room on the 40 man. We just can’t go letting him go when we are short on 3B depth. 

Not putting him on the 40 man is not the same as letting him go.  You feel there is another team who sees Dorrian as a future ML 3B and is either going to play him as a regular or carry him as a backup 1B-3B all year?

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Not putting him on the 40 man is not the same as letting him go.  You feel there is another team who sees Dorrian as a future ML 3B and is either going to play him as a regular or carry him as a backup 1B-3B all year?

He could be claimed.   Versus righties he is 260/373/514/887 with 18 homers in 296 AB.  That is good enough to be a platoon 1B/DH if he can't play 3B.   He could fit on some teams bench.  I think he O's should protect him.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

He could be claimed.   Versus righties he is 260/373/514/887 with 18 homers in 296 AB.  That is good enough to be a platoon 1B/DH if he can't play 3B.   He could fit on some teams bench.  I think he O's should protect him.

He has to be a solid bet to protect. How many guys have 10% walk rate and .887 OPS through AA? 

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I would be shocked if anyone claims Dorrian and doubly shocked if he sticks all year. He's not the kind of player people take in the Rule V, and he's not close to being one of our best prospects

Kelvin Gutierrez, Rylan Bannon, Patrick Dorian. 

That is our current 3B depth. If those are the options, then I don’t see how you give up on Dorrian or risk losing him. I think he will be protected. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kelvin Gutierrez, Rylan Bannon, Patrick Dorian. 

That is our current 3B depth. If those are the options, then I don’t see how you give up on Dorrian or risk losing him. I think he will be protected. 

I think Dorrian is evaluated based solely on Dorrian. If Bannon hits 50 home runs this year, it doesn't affect how much value Dorrian has.