2022 early look top prospects

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 12:40 PM, AnythingO's said:

So potentially he could be back in mix next draft if he has a strong year that overcomes doubt about his arm

Who knows - maybe Rocker will be a 2nd rounder next year - for the O's.  The comparison is Carter Stewart - who was the 8th pick in the 2018 draft.  The Braves determined he had a wrist problem and chose not to sign him.  He went to a junior college and did well but saw he probably was not going to be a 1st round pick and chose to sign in Japan - getting a $7 mil deal spread over 6 years.  Last I heard, he was doing very well in Japan in 2021 after a tough 2020 season.  

Lots could happen before the 22 draft - hopefully a couple pitchers will become worth of the O's pick.  I'd love to see the O's use most of their top 10 picks on pitchers.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Berry kid, a switch-hitting 1B at LSU might enter the conversation for the Orioles pick. He is transferring from Arizona to follow his coach, and he might be able to play some 3B. We know that Elias likes college bats with plate discipline, intelligence and high exit velo. Not saying he is the guy, but he should be in the conversation.

• 4 weeks later...

A "Why So Soon?!" 2022 MLB Mock Draft — Prospects Live

Baltimore Orioles - Druw Jones, OF, Wesleyan Academy

"This may come as a surprise to some, but in terms of process and evaluation, it makes a whole lot of sense. We believe Jones is not only one of the most exciting talents in this class, but his profile also fits the Mike Elias Standard Operating Procedure™....."

Edited by Paul in Virginia
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 7:25 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we’re going to pick like 1, 33, and 40, with the 1st rd pick, the comp a pick, and then the 2nd rd pick. With this draft pool and Elias’ affinity for going bat heavy, we are going to be absolutely loaded post this draft position player wise. 

I hope they find a pitcher they really like at 33 or 40. We need more high end arms in the system. They could always go over slot later, like with Baumler, but some good high school and college arms likely available there.

17 hours ago, waynebug said:

I'm seeing mock drafts with Rocker being chose around 15 to 20.  So his value will drop.  There is much more talent in 2022.  Hitters and pitchers, high school and college

One thing interesting about the Mets' situation - because they didn't sign Rocker, they get the 11th pick in the 2022 draft - in addition to having the 14th pick based on their 2021 record.  So, if they sign a qualified free agent, they lose their 2nd pick in the draft - which is pick # 14.  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/which-draft-picks-each-team-would-forfeit-by-signing-a-qualified-free-agent.html

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://jmusports.com/news/2021/11/6/administration-james-madison-accepts-invitation-to-sun-belt-conference.aspx

The effective date in the story given means this probably won't affect JMU's 2022 baseball schedule, but the overall rising tide for that school's programs makes it a little less absurd on the surface a plausible 1-1 candidate could be there.

As Mrs. Just Regular is a Duke, I have a feeling our next ballpark visit could be Harrisonburg.   In 2021 we didn't take our kid to any game where Adley Rutschman didn't play.

• Like 1