2022 early look top prospects

Right now Chase DeLauter looks like a stud, but if we pick him Good God will we be loaded with LH outfield prospects. I know the conventional wisdom is to always go for the best player and worry about where to play them later, but is there a limit to that philosophy and if so where is it?

On 11/7/2021 at 1:02 AM, ShoelesJoe said:

Right now Chase DeLauter looks like a stud, but if we pick him Good God will we be loaded with LH outfield prospects. I know the conventional wisdom is to always go for the best player and worry about where to play them later, but is there a limit to that philosophy and if so where is it?

He would have to be a clear cut above the other options with more positional flexibility for me, but Elias doesn't seem to worry about that. As always, though, if he's an All Star - it doesn't matter. 

32 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Chase Delauter is my 1-1 pick as of right now.  I think this dude is going to be a beast based on his Cape Cod performance and combination of size, power and speed.

And he's a college corner outfielder!

I suggested that Elias would be looking hard at him months ago.

Can't have too many corner outfielders.

1. Chase DeLauter

Outfield, James Madison

DeLauter is a physical specimen. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, the product of Martinsburg, West Virginia can really bang at the plate. He burst onto the scene in 2021, slashing .386/.508/.723 with 6 homers and 7 stolen bases in just 26 games. He worked 25 walks and punched out just 14 times. DeLauter has showcased his talents in the Cape Cod League as well, surging confidence in his abilities with big league scouts. Believers see an above average-to-plus hitter with easy plus, potentially plus-plus raw power. He has a disciplined eye at the plate that should translate to pro ball well. In the field, it’s at least a plus-plus arm in a corner with rangy speed and sound fundamentals. DeLauter clocked a 6.4 second 60 at James Madison's pro day, so he's every bit that of a plus runner as well. James Madison hasn’t produced a first round pick since 2007. All signs point toward that changing in 2022.

Batting

Season Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG
CCBL 2021 Orleans Firebirds 34 124 27 37 7 1 9 21 21 18 5 .298
Total 34 124 27 37 7 1 9 21 21 18 5 .298

With 600 AB's that comes out to 179 hits, 33.6 doubles, 43 home runs, 101 RBI'S, 101 BB, 81 Strike outs

20 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I don't think he's played against top competition...   Who does JMU play?

I think we can ask the same question for Brooks Lee. Cal Poly plays in the Big West Conference.

As far as I can tell, he played 6 games against a big conference opponent: 3 against USC (they finished with a losing record) and 3 against UCLA. The rest of his schedule was:

Nevada

Utah Valley

Cal State Northridge

UC San Diego

San Jose State

Long Beach State

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

UC Santa Barbara

CSU Bakersfield

Cal State Fullerton

UC Davis

Hawaii

Lee walked only 18 times last year in approximately 250 PA. If there's any questions about his ability to remain at SS, that would be an additional concern.

Edited by calsmanystances