2022 early look top prospects

Berry may be the best pure hitter in the draft.   But he's a First Baseman.   LSU is going to try him at 2nd base this season, but most scouts think he's going to be relegated to first base/DH.   That didn't stop Torkelson from going 1-1, but whoever takes him needs to know he's not going to be a Third Baseman...

23 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Berry may be the best pure hitter in the draft.   But he's a First Baseman.   LSU is going to try him at 2nd base this season, but most scouts think he's going to be relegated to first base/DH.   That didn't stop Torkelson from going 1-1, but whoever takes him needs to know he's not going to be a Third Baseman...

This might be true, but you can't wish a Cole or Harper into the draft order. We're picking #1. That pick needs to be a success. If that happens to be a MOO bat without much positional upside, so be it.  

When it comes down to it, the bat is the most important tool.   Green and Jones, HS hitters, are the most toolsy but Jim Callis says the Termarr Johnson has a 70 bat, and some even have it as an 80.   Good enough for me even if he projects as a 2B or OF.   Not the sexiest pick but probably the best combination of safe and upside.

• Upvote 1

I like Berry, Jung, and DeLauter, probably in that order. I think Greene and Jones have too much swing and miss in their games, and are too dependent on their athleticism. I think we really need to emphasize OBP and hit tool overall, especially to give the prospects already in the system (Adley, Stowers, Westburg, Gunnar, Mayo) support in the major league lineup (whichever of those prospects wind up major league regulars).

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When it comes down to it, the bat is the most important tool.   Green and Jones, HS hitters, are the most toolsy but Jim Callis says the Termarr Johnson has a 70 bat, and some even have it as an 80.   Good enough for me even if he projects as a 2B or OF.   Not the sexiest pick but probably the best combination of safe and upside.

If his bat is that good, but the concern is a "lower" position, i.e. 2B, then that could help with an underslot approach (assuming there isn't a clearcut #1), and being more aggressive with the remaining 2 top 40 picks.

Termarr getting graded the best Hit tool compared to collegians reminds me some of the Royals/Greinke anecdote they wanted the most polished pitcher and it happened to be a high schooler that year.

It is hard to know how you know that on a Prep, though.   I gather Termarr has played some big showcases, and these reports are so hot I wonder if his advisors will bubble wrap him any this spring.   If he was a Latin American kid, i imagine he'd have been in private workout mode not long after reaching teenage years with hitting skill this rare.

Looking back at 1-1 high school position players...Royce Lewis, Mickey Moniak, Carlos Correa, Bryce Harper, Tim Beckham, Justin Upton, Delmon Young, Joe Mauer, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Hamilton, Alex Rodriguez, Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey ($160,000 bonus!)

I guess Bryce, Delmon, Adrian Gonzalez and Chipper are the ones where in memory a brilliant Hit tool was the main draw in 35 years of guys.

It’s fun to be exposed to the top names, but there’s no real point trying to pick between them before the 2022 HS/college season is played.   That will be the most relevant data set for making a choice.      

I’ll say this about Johnson though — I’d take a 2B with a 70/80 bat in a heartbeat.   How many major league 2B meet that description?    We’ll see next year if the 70/80 grade sticks.   And, whether he’s a solid 2B, not just a guy you can play there in a pinch.   

I would think a guy that can play an above average 2B with a 70/80 hit tool would be exceptionally valuable. If we feel Termarr's bat is really that special - I hope we take him. I'm worried about the swing and miss with Green / Jones, but both are obviously exciting prospects as well. 

No one is really standing out for me among the college bats so far, but Brooks Lee could definitely be exciting if he has a big year and we think he can stick at SS. Any of Berry, Jung and DeLauter could be fine options as well, but I would hope one of them really separates themselves this year if we're going to go for another (non-SS) college bat. 

Edit: Started writing this before Frobby's comment, but I 100% agree. 

DeLauter had the best Cape Cod League season and really made a name for himself.  

I'd be fine with Berry or Johnson- amazing Hit tools and you might get a middle of order bat with average and power.  So what if they are relegated to 1B or 2B?  I'll take the masher and figure defense out later...

Some remarks from Jim Callis:

“The way this draft is lining up, it’s hitter-hitter heavy at the top of the draft. ... I think it’s pretty much a lock the Orioles are taking a hitter with the No. 1 pick given what we know about this class right now,” Callis said.

“The hitters, both on the high school and college side, are really deep. There isn’t a college pitcher that belongs at the top of the draft right now. Here we are, at least seven months out, but I don’t think there is a clear-cut No. 1. So there could be all kinds of interesting stories from the Orioles perspective going forward.

“But there are some really good high school hitters. Andruw Jones’ son, Druw, is a center fielder from Georgia. Man, he is loaded with tools. He reminds me of his dad. Termarr Johnson, another high school kid from Georgia, he’s the best high school hitter that I think has come around in a long time. I’ve seen guys put an 80 on his bat; I might go 70, but it’s really good. You have Elijah Green, who is the son of Eric Green, who I think played for the Ravens at one point, an NFL tight end. Elijah Green probably has the best all-around tools in the draft. He’s real exciting.

“On the college side, you have guys like LSU third baseman Jacob Berry, Cal Poly shortstop Brooks Lee, Texas Tech infielder Jace Jung. So it’s a really good crop of hitters. I will make a bold prediction, Steve, seven months early, that the Orioles will take a position player at 1/1.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/12/jim-callis-take-on-some-os-2021-draft-picks.html

• Upvote 1