Bundy trade looking better

OriolesMagic83

12 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Who was the minor league pitcher that we traded to the Angels that had a few good outings with them in the bigs causing people on this board started to melt down?

Parker Bridwell back in 2017 had a 3.64 ERA in 121 innings for LA. Had a 5.4 K rate. The next season only started one game for them and was out of baseball by 2020. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Parker Bridwell back in 2017 had a 3.64 ERA in 121 innings for LA. Had a 5.4 K rate. The next season only started one game for them and was out of baseball by 2020. 

He had a shoulder issue, I believe.   I hope Bundy doesn’t have some physical issue that’s causing his recent struggles.  

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Ariel Miranda had a few good outings after we let him go too, to the dismay of many.

Hey, guess who's starting for the St Louis Cardinals tonight!

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He had a shoulder issue, I believe.   I hope Bundy doesn’t have some physical issue that’s causing his recent struggles.  

He has a lot of good peripheral stats, so I don’t think it’s an injury.  Too many homers and bad luck are big contributors for him right now.

18 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Who was the minor league pitcher that we traded to the Angels that had a few good outings with them in the bigs causing people on this board started to melt down?

https://www.camdenchat.com/2017/5/31/15719516/orioles-pitching-prospect-development-parker-bridwell

I believe Parker Bridwell is the player you are remembering.

This trade took some time to develop due to the Angels not having guys pitch in the year that they were drafted, and then COVID, but it’s starting to look really good for us. Bradish, Brnovich, and Peek, are all in our organization top 30 list.

Bundy wasn’t going to help us win anything, and hasn’t helped the Angels. We came away with three arms for the future, and three arms that Elias has identified. 

So far the arms that Elias has identified in his various trades have had success with us. So there is some reason for optimism. 

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He has a lot of good peripheral stats, so I don’t think it’s an injury.  Too many homers and bad luck are big contributors for him right now.

His peripherals are pretty much the same as they've always been.  Last year he had a 65-inning run where he barely allowed any homers.  He'd had 14-game stretches as good or better three or four times with the Orioles, but it just so happened that last year 14 games was the whole season.

He is going through some bad luck in that his FIP is a little over 5.00 and his ERA almost 7.00.  Otherwise his 2021 is very similar to his 2018.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

So Bundy basically is who he was with us, outside of the very good short season in 2020. 

Bundy had a stretch in the 2017 season from April through June 14th where his ERA was 3.29 with a 1.175 WHIP in 87.2 innings pitched. 

Bundy's 2020 ERA was 3.29 with a 1.035 WHIP in just 65 innings pitched. Bundy didn't change last year, the short season just coincided with Bundy pitching at his best. 

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

So Bundy basically is who he was with us, outside of the very good short season in 2020. 

Basically.  Which disappoints the group who needed this to be Exhibit #338 on See The Orioles Suck and They Just Needed To Do This One Weird Thing and Dylan Bundy Will Win the Cy Young.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bundy had a stretch in the 2017 season from April through June 14th where his ERA was 3.29 with a 1.175 WHIP in 87.2 innings pitched. 

Bundy's 2020 ERA was 3.29 with a 1.035 WHIP in just 65 innings pitched. Bundy didn't change last year, the short season just coincided with Bundy pitching at his best. 

That statement disregards that he started throwing his slider as his primary pitch in early 2020.  Through 10 games he was throwing it above 33%, his regression started when he lowered it to about 25%.  He was a different pitcher early last year it just didn't last like it has for Boyd or Corbin.

Looking at fangraphs the slider has regressed and he has started throwing his fastball more, and is on pace to vastly eclipse his cutter and sinker usage from any previous season.  Perhaps he thought he could regain his 2017 sinker (2.00 PV/100) and his cutter was actually good last year but has regressed.  Regardless they are not good pitches and as such his HR/FB has jumped from 8% to 20%.

So Orioles Bundy was in fact by pitch mix a very different pitcher than early 2020 Angels Bundy but more similar to 2021 Angels Bundy. 

I think Bundy is a good pitcher when he can throw his slider 33% of the time, but for whatever reason he can't sustain that (injury, fatigue) and his other offerings a really bad when depended on as primary offerings.

I was wrong that I thought this was a bad trade.  I will stick by my statement (in old threads) that the Orioles should have tried him in Boyd/ Corbin profile before trading him and as they did not probably sold lower than they had to on him.