Amazing Video on pitchers cheating in MLB

Tony-OH

Statcast data shows that 327 pitchers have thrown at least 20 four-seam fastballs since the start of last season and made at least one appearance in which a fastball was thrown since MLB's crackdown announcement last Thursday. Of those pitchers, 207 (63.3%) had a reduction in their rpm/mph ratio; 112 had their rpm/mph ratio drop by half a point, and 45 had at least a drop of one full Bauer Unit.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2181864

• Thanks 1

I like that we are calling it the Bauer unit. MLB may do their best to hang the scandal on one exalted victim. Bauer is clearly their cat. Let us not fall prey to what the NBA did with Pat the “rogue ref” 

this scandal must swallow more victims than merely one sacrificial lamb.

15 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I like that we are calling it the Bauer unit. MLB may do their best to hang the scandal on one exalted victim. Bauer is clearly their cat. Let us not fall prey to what the NBA did with Pat the “rogue ref” 

this scandal must swallow more victims than merely one sacrificial lamb.

The term Bauer units was coined by Bauer himself like five years ago.  It’s not MLB’s doing.  From a 2016 article in BP:

Kyle Boddy of Driveline Baseball has done some of the most advanced work on spin rate with the assistance of Trevor Bauer of the Cleveland Indians. Boddy and Bauer have coined the term “Bauer Units,” used to describe the relationship between fastball velocity and spin rate. Simply put, Bauer Units can be calculated as “Pitch Spin (rpm) / Pitch Velocity (mph).”

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/30465/pitching-backward-what-we-know-about-spin-rate/

• Upvote 2

Hate to see Glasnow get hurt.  Super talented kid.  But the idea that he is whining because MLB is cracking down on cheating is hilarious to me.

OTOH, I saw the point being made about why crack down on us and do nothing to Houston.  Not that 2 wrongs make a right but it’s a valid point in the overall “punishing you when you cheat” discussion.