Coby Mayo 2021

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He is definitely trending up. The more I've watched him at Delmarva the more I really think he may be something special. I just really like his ABs and for young inexperienced hitter, he really doesn't get fooled all that much. He has BIG time power that comes from a violent, but smooth swing.

Defensively he's got plenty of arm for the hot corner but still needs to work on his foot work on his throws. My biggest concern for him over there is his height. There are not many long time, 6-5 third basemans in MLB history. Kris Bryant is 6-5 and has played some third base, but they also used him in the outfield and first base. Alec Bohm is 6-5 but has been well below average defensively so far in the big leagues and may need to move to first base, 

Scott Rolen was 6-4 and played an effective 3B across his entire career, as well as Mike Lowell, but those guys are few and far between. Obviously Cal Ripken was 6-4 and some say 6-5 and ended up playing 3B effectively after moving there later in his career.

I haven't seen enough of him defensively to say he'll need to move so he certainly should play there everyday for now. 

Either way, I love the K-BB ratio combined with the huge power and the good arm combo. He's not going to win a ton of sprint races, but he's not base clogger so if he needed to move to the right field he would probably be fine speed wise. 

He has impressed me. He's the one guy on Delmarva that looks like a "can't miss guy" and he's the youngest. Not to say I don't like others there, but Mayo right now really has stood out to me.

Ryan Minor was 6'7".  He played mostly third over parts of four MLB seasons. 

I’m going to throw a damp washcloth on all this Mayo euphoria.   He’s definitely got light tower power, that is clearly established.   But I’m not going to judge his hit tool based on 7 low A games and 26 in the FCL.   If he’s still hitting very well when Delmarva’s season ends I’ll consider whether he merits an organizational top 10 prospect spot in our system.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mayo just kinda jumps out at me like Machado did. I'm not saying he's Machado, but he's the last guy I saw at 19 that just jumped out at me as not looking like the others. 

COVID was a development crusher.  At 19, Manny was promoted to save our 2012 season.  Not saying Mayo would be here now, but he could have been much higher than Delmarva now if he'd had a normal senior year and a first pro-year last season.  2020 really hurt a team depending on it's player development to reach our goals.

50 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

COVID was a development crusher.  At 19, Manny was promoted to save our 2012 season.  Not saying Mayo would be here now, but he could have been much higher than Delmarva now if he'd had a normal senior year and a first pro-year last season.  2020 really hurt a team depending on it's player development to reach our goals.

Or, if he’d had a full senior year and done well, maybe some other team would have drafted him long before our 4th round pick came along.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to throw a damp washcloth on all this Mayo euphoria.   He’s definitely got light tower power, that is clearly established.   But I’m not going to judge his hit tool based on 7 low A games and 26 in the FCL.   If he’s still hitting very well when Delmarva’s season ends I’ll consider whether he merits an organizational top 10 prospect spot in our system.  

I learned your first name was Rick by seeing Tony respond to your posts.  However, I never realised your last name was Law until now.  Very fitting too.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Some might groan if/when we go offense with our likely top-2 pick next summer, but if that pick pans out like so many of our recent picks seem to be, we're ALL going to be drooling at what our offense might/should look like 2 or 3 years from now.

I agree our lineup is going to have some explosive potential in a few years.