Yanks: $80M available and ready to spend

wildcard

CC $25M; Tex $22M; Burnett $17M; That still leaves $16M. Who else do they go for? Maybe Lowe $12M

Or, maybe instead of Lowe they go for KRod at $15M, and alternate closers or have one be the setup guy.

I wish the O's had $80M to spend.

Abreu Giambi and/or Pettitte could come back.

That could tie up at least some of that $$$.

They could also overpay for guys like Fuentes and/or Cruz to help shore up their 'pen.

And that doesn't even take account of the fact that NYY might not be the first choice of some of these marquee free agents, so there's no guarantee they even get the guys they really want.

Bottom line, let's not be scouting out tall buildings to jump from just yet.

They could also overpay for guys like Fuentes and/or Cruz to help shore up their 'pen.

And that doesn't even take account of the fact that NYY might not be the first choice of some of these marquee free agents, so there's no guarantee they even get the guys they really want.

Dave's right... just because they've got money doesn't mean they're gonna suck everyone up. There's certainly a contingent of players who will go to Boston, lol.

I don't see them bringing back Abreu, simply because they have three guys (Damon, Matsui, and Nady) who play corner outfield positions.

I definitely see them going after Fuentes like you mentioned.

They may try to sign Hudson so they can package Cano in a trade. I also see them trading for Cameron.

They'll really test Sabathia's desire to go west and stay in the NL by throwing insane money at him.

With the Yankees opening a new park and failing to make the playoffs, this is going to be a really exciting winter around the league.

]Hopefully that takes some effort away on Tex.

Don't count on that mattering too much, the Yanks will definitely be in play. Boras will get his usual bidding war showdown going and the Yanks can usually be counted on to drive the price through roof.

"I would be remiss if I didn't say starting pitching," he said. "The injuries to (Joba) Chamberlain and (Chien-Ming) Wang certainly didn't help us last year. We need to build the starting pitching."

I like this last quote, you're not building anything, you're buying!

God, I hate the Yankees.... Isn't there some baseball karma that should be catching up with them soon? I don't want anybody getting hurt, but a biblical plague would be nice.

In the eyes of the Yankee$' ownership and fans last season was the biblical plague...hell, every season since 2000 has been a biblical plague.

If they don't win the World Series, they think the world is out of whack.

Missing the playoffs hurts NY. Missing the playoffs in the last season at Yankee Stadium hurts A LOT. Probably embarrasing, too.

They have a chance to save face...with the hype of a new stadium and the payroll coming off the books, they can definitely spend and get Sabathia AND Tex.

Would not surprise me to see them land at least one of those guys within the first 24-48 hours of free agency. Shock and awe, Yankee style, if you will.

CC $25M; Tex $22M; Burnett $17M; That still leaves $16M. Who else do they go for? Maybe Lowe $12M

Or, maybe instead of Lowe they go for KRod at $15M, and alternate closers or have one be the setup guy.

I wish the O's had $80M to spend.

The O's do have $80M to spend ---- in 2010. They have no money committed for 2010.

The difference is that $80M would be the O's entire payroll and it is 40% of what the Yankees will spend.

Archived