2021 Draft Thread

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Taylor goes to the Rangers in the 19th round.

Just 3 picks ahead of us.   Damn!   Maybe we were targeting him with our next pick and the Rangers swooped in.

LOL.  Good thinkg we didn't take him in the 18 prior rounds!

• Upvote 1

One prep player in 18 rounds is that normal, do other teams completely ignore HS players

Aren't the majority of the MVP's elite players guys that were either from US high school or international?

Tonights All Star Game Starters

Ohtani    : International,  Vlad Jr    : HS,  Boegarts  HS(Int-18yo),  Judge : College(21 yo),  Devers  (INT - 16yo),  Semien : College, Perez  : Int-16yo, Hernandez  : Int-18yo,  Mullins  : College (20yo)

Seems like the O's strategy is to not draft players that have a chance to be elite All Star types

To me that doesn't make sense

• Upvote 1

It's kind of ironic that there was a whole crowd that came out against the orioles saying they were cheap because they went "underslot" with Cowser instead of drafting Lawler or Watson. Then you had the group of people stand up for the orioles and explain to this crowd that underslotting doesn't mean they're cheap but that they'll re-distribute that money else where in the draft. Now the Orioles spit in the face of the group trying to defend them by actually not spending their full allocation lol basically proving the first crowd right.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

San Diego just went for Gage Jump. I was hoping we'd do something like that. 

Is he a 23 year old tall college senior right hander? No?  Then of course they won't take him, even though everyone and their mother had him ranked higher than every single pick the Orioles have made today. 

And we finish with a junior college outfielder.  At 21 years and 2 days old, he is the 2nd youngest player we took today and the 3rd youngest in the entire draft.

We took two players in the entire draft who can't buy alcohol.   And one of those two is less than 4 weeks away.

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

One prep player in 18 rounds is that normal, do other teams completely ignore HS players

Aren't the majority of the MVP's elite players guys that were either from US high school or international?

Ohtani    : International,  Vlad Jr    : HS,  Boegarts  HS(Int-18yo),  Judge : College(21 yo),  Devers  (INT - 16yo),  Semien : College, Perez  : Int-16yo, Hernandez  : Int-18yo,  Mullins  : College (20yo)

Seems like the O's strategy is to not draft players that have a chance to be elite All Star types

To me that looks like the Orioles are relying heavily on models and there was better college data (though not perfect) than there was high school data this year because of all of the COVID stuff. I'm still scratching my head about the total spend and trying to figure out how they can spend even their full pool amount, let alone dip into the permitted overage, based on who they drafted. I don't think it's a bad draft I just am not clear as to how they are deploying funds here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

NL is even more clear. The vast majority of the stars of the game are drafted/signed before the age of 18. I don't see the O's ever contending using the Elias "plan".

5 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I disagree. I think the higher end talent still available are all guys with major signability questions which is why no team was willing to draft them in the top-10 rounds for fear of losing some of their draft allotment. I think the Orioles go with several higher upside, signability question marks in the last 10 rounds because (aside from just not getting the player) there are no penalties for failure to sign. This way, you take 3-4 of these difficult sign guys with the expectation of signing 1-2 of them. It's a plan that makes sense (but is a bit more risky than I think its worth). 

If, however, that doesn't come to pass. Then, I'm on your side. 

So we agree now ?. I’d love for someone in the media ask him how the team intends to spend its full pool, but they won’t and he wouldn’t give a real answer, so I guess it would be kind of worthless.

If the organization is doing absolutely nothing to help the big club then why not aim high and at least try for some high upside talent? I used to defend the FO when people called them cheap...now it's looking more and more like they were right. Not a lot of draft faith in this crew to actually pick the best player available.

Edited by Orioles1954
Typo