2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

You didn’t like Lacy’s potential in a division where an elite left hander could make a difference? I wanted Lacy, he may not work but pitching and a little luck wins championships. Not underslot deals.

And we have traded to get plenty of great arms. You’re not seeing the whole picture. Lacy would have been a good pick in retrospect but Baumler may be better and with less wear and tear. Time will tell kid.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

And we have traded to get plenty of great arms. You’re not seeing the whole picture. Lacy would have been a good pick in retrospect but Baumler may be better and with less wear and tear. Time will tell kid.

Nothing cuts down on wear and tear like taking a season off for surgery.  ?

4 minutes ago, connja said:

The profile of Krjstad and Cowser seem awfully similar.  Does this say anything about bigger concerns about Krjstad's future?

Kjerstad has a lot more power and Cowser is probably the better all around player who Elias said is a CFer.

I don’t see how they are similar at all. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nothing cuts down on wear and tear like taking a season off for surgery.  ?

Think rookie of the year. The kid will come back with a cannon pitching so fast we’ll start calling him Rollengartner. Or is that Roto Rooter? Runamucker?

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think that was ever the right characterization.  I do think it’s fair to say he wasn’t BPA.

As I said before, I think there is a chance the team had Kjerstad as the BPA.  I just don’t believe they valued Cowser as BPA over Lawlar.  Maybe they did but I don’t buy it.  But it’s possible, especially after seeing how things played out, that they had him over Watson and House.

Well you hit it: BPA is in the eye of the beholder, and it's possible he was BPA for them.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to take this and run with it to prove my point of view.

So this guy that loved him didn't have him fifth. 

Reaching 3 spots to get a guy for whatever reason is hardly worth complaining about given the inherent margin of error in evaluating young players

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You keep saying this like it's fact, but are you talking about the Austin Martin with two home runs and slashing .773 in 198 AA PAs while splitting time between SS (.908 Fld %) and CF? 

Clearly with Kjerstad's illness, and Baumler's injury, it certainly doesn't look good, but Martin has already shown some of the issues people had concerns with including a lack of position and power. 

Whether Elias did the right thing will be determined years from now, but it's not like he passed over a Machado-like talent to draft Kjerstad.

I'd rep this, but I'm out of rep for the day.

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

FWIW fangraphs had Cowser in the FV50 tier and above Rocker. 

FV 50 is average. That’s not nothing, being average is beautiful, but for the fifth pick in round 1, You hope for some thing a little bit better than average. Imagine calling your parents and saying, “mom dad, I’m bringing home this… Average girl.”

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

FV 50 is average. That’s not nothing, being average is beautiful, but for the fifth pick in round 1, You home for some thing a little bit better than average. Imagine calling your parents and saying, “mom dad, I’m bringing home this… Average girl.”

MLB.com has him at 55.

Top Baseball Draft Prospects (mlb.com)

Edited by Paul in Virginia

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad has a lot more power and Cowser is probably the better all around player who Elias said is a CFer.

I don’t see how they are similar at all. 

colelge age, LH hitting outfielders.