2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

14 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

You didn’t like Lacy’s potential in a division where an elite left hander could make a difference? I wanted Lacy, he may not work but pitching and a little luck wins championships. Not underslot deals.

Have you looked at Lacy’s stats?   He might end up great but right now he can’t throw strikes and apparently has awful command. 

1 hour ago, WarehouseChatter said:

There is a lot of misunderstanding on how the draft/slotting works on this board.  We’re not being cheap!  It’s a strategy to save $ for later rounds and lure talent who might otherwise have gone to college.  I like this strategy considering where we are as an organization.  We’re going to get deeper talent this way vs. a Rocker-type pick who could be lights out but also carries risk and wouldn’t allow us to save $ for future rounds.

Think of it as trading down from the 5th pick to the 10th and adding a 1st rounder for next year (since the player we go over slot for will be a high school player).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

FV 50 is average. That’s not nothing, being average is beautiful, but for the fifth pick in round 1, You home for some thing a little bit better than average. Imagine calling your parents and saying, “mom dad, I’m bringing home this… Average girl.”

Fangraphs are pretty conservative with their grades. They have Jasson Dominguez as a 50 FV and their #36 overall prospect. 

1 hour ago, Getz said:

I knew it would be him or Sal Frelick. Our current best prospects are going to reach the majors in 2022 and 2023 and he wants a college bat that can get to the majors quickly, so that the service time starts at almost the same time for all players,now he'll go overslot in high school kids. I'm not mad with this strategy, the problem is it will take 3 or 4 years to really have a deep evaluation of this strategy.

McLain would have been as far along.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

FV 50 is average. That’s not nothing, being average is beautiful, but for the fifth pick in round 1, You home for some thing a little bit better than average. Imagine calling your parents and saying, “mom dad, I’m bringing home this… Average girl.”

I’m not sure you understand how the prospect FV scale works on Fangraphs prospect board. 50 is what Lawlar and Leiter and all of the other top guys were rated as well. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not bitching about anything. 

If Elias misses on multiple high picks it will be hard to compete. I am well aware of other avenues of talent acquisition. The draft is the best way to get better. That also includes picks after the 1st round. 

The Cardinals never have a high draft choice, and they always have a good team. I can’t remember them drafting in the single digits ever.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I said last year I preferred Lacy overall, but I understand what Elias was doing when he went for Kjerstad. Unlike some of you, I don't pretend I know everything about these guys because I read a few mockdrafts. 

It's easy to bash on Elias when he doesn't follow your favorite mock drafts, but we know right now any criticism is just an opinion at this point because it will take years to know whether the drafts were good or not.

To piggyback on that, it's not like we just took a guy without any upside.  And it's not like we stretched way hard to pick someone who was projected at the late first round/early second round.

If we're going by mock drafts (really, that's all a lot of us have to go on) he was going to be picked anywhere from 10-15th, most likely.  So we reached a little bit, but not like the Royals with Frank Mozzarella.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What does this tell you how the Os view their OF options, including Kjerstads health.  

Was going to post this but you beat me to it.

I think it gives us a pretty good glimpse into how Elias views Diaz and McKenna's MLB prospects, Kjerstad's health prospects, and (maybe) Santander's place in our long-term plans.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

To piggyback on that, it's not like we just took a guy without any upside.  And it's not like we stretched way hard to pick someone who was projected at the late first round/early second round.

If we're going by mock drafts (really, that's all a lot of us have to go on) he was going to be picked anywhere from 10-15th, most likely.  So we reached a little bit, but not like the Royals with Frank Mozzarella.  

Look Frankie Cheesesticks may end up the best player in this draft

• Haha 2