N. Swisher traded to Yankees.

eddie-eddie

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any explanation for Swisher's decline last year (e.g., injury) or is his decline just another decline that coincides with steriod testing? I'm not saying...I'm just asking.

He was unlucky. .249 BABIP, .202 in the second half. Only one month where it was above .261.

He was unlucky. .249 BABIP, .202 in the second half. Only one month where it was above .261.

We all know that BABIP is important but not necessarily indicative purely of luck. Really low BABIPs are often indicative of flat out weak hitting. Any injuries to speak of?

I'm asking because taking on Swisher is nothing like going after Dan Johnson or Carols Quentin. It's taking on a huge financial risk for someone who may have just pulled a Gibbons.

If there's not another story to his absolutely terrible year last year than I wouldn't want him unless the Sox took on his contract. Barring more information, count me as very happy that the Yanks are spending money and relying on this guy.

We all know that BABIP is important but not necessarily indicative purely of luck. Really low BABIPs are often indicative of flat out weak hitting. Any injuries to speak of?

I'm asking because taking on Swisher is nothing like going after Dan Johnson or Carols Quentin. It's taking on a huge financial risk for someone who may have just pulled a Gibbons.

If there's not another story to his absolutely terrible year last year than I wouldn't want him unless the Sox took on his contract. Barring more information, count me as very happy that the Yanks are spending money and relying on this guy.

He was VERY unlucky with a LD% of 20.9% and a BABIP of .251

It's a subjective stat, so its realiability is debatable.

I won't say it is subjective. Hardball Times did a study on it. LD% and BABIP are pretty correlated. It makes common sense too. If a player hits a lot of LD then he should hit for a higher Average.

I won't say it is subjective. Hardball Times did a study on it. LD% and BABIP are pretty correlated. It makes common sense too. If a player hits a lot of LD then he should hit for a higher Average.

Well, it sort of has to be subjective right? Someone has to say the ball in play was a linedrive or it wasn't.

It can also be self-fulfilling, since hitters who are more highly-regarded may be more likely to have a ball in play categorized as a linedrive. So, hitters that hit for a higher average may be more likely to have their balls in play categorized as linedrives and thus have a higher LD%.

No way this signing removes the Yankees from the Tex bidding. If they land Tex they'll trade Swisher again or just cut him and eat the salary.

No way they cut Swisher, he has 3 years remaining on his contract and an option year. They also probably won't flip him. I could see them still going after Tex and, if they land him, trying to trade one of their other outfield/DH types.

I think this definitely was an insurance policy if they miss out on Tex though and with CC, another top tier FA starter and Swisher in the fold, I think it certainly decreases their likelihood of landing Tex.

You could knock me over with a feather. I didn't see this one coming at all. From Yankees.com:

Cashman said he envisioned Swisher playing at first base nearly every day.

Despite playing 70 games in center field last season, Swisher, whom Cashman called an "average" defensive center fielder, is not likely to see much time there next year. He will instead play first base and fill in at the corner outfield positions, where the Yankees consider Swisher a "plus defender."

"One of the reasons we were attracted to Nick," Cashman said, "is that he's got the flexibility, the versatility to play left, center, right, first. We obviously have a vacancy at first base, but the winter is early."

It originally seemed as if the Yankees would attempt to fill that void by throwing money at Mark Teixeira, far and away the top free-agent first baseman on the market. And even though Cashman said that the addition of Swisher wouldn't preclude him from pursuing Teixeira, it stands to reason that Girardi's lineup is now all but set heading into 2009.

Instead of spending money on a first baseman, the Yankees can now focus almost exclusively on pitching -- their top priority all along.

I guess this just proves that the Yankees under the Brothers and Cashman are not the same Yankees that they were under George. First they pass on Santana and now this.

Well, it sort of has to be subjective right? Someone has to say the ball in play was a linedrive or it wasn't.

It can also be self-fulfilling, since hitters who are more highly-regarded may be more likely to have a ball in play categorized as a linedrive. So, hitters that hit for a higher average may be more likely to have their balls in play categorized as linedrives and thus have a higher LD%.

Maybe to announcers who comment in real time. It should be pretty easy for a bookkeeper to tell the difference between line drives, fly outs, and ground balls. Sure there are sometimes could will be tough to say, but they probably even out over the long run.

No way this signing removes the Yankees from the Tex bidding. If they land Tex they'll trade Swisher again or just cut him and eat the salary.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Why would they trade for him if they would cut him? I'm thinking they have too much tied up in corner OF/1B/DH types to make a run at Tex.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them in the bidding, but I think pitching is a much bigger priority for them now.

Archived