Here comes Texas!

Frobby

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You have a very high opinion of your ability to evaluate talent.   I don’t have as high an opinion of mine (or frankly, yours).  It will be a very long time before we know if Lawler is a franchise SS and what kind of player Cowser is.   Not to mention whether the overslot guys we got with the dollars saved are any good or not.   Come back in 5-7 years and we can discuss it.   In the meantime I’m just going to wait to see what happens, because I’m not going to pretend that I know.  

I know many professional scouts. I talk to them, I listen. I am not a Homer ungrounded from reality, that twists like a pretzel to defend an org that hasn’t been in a World Series since almost 40 years ago.

My favorite response on here: You can’t judge for x of years. You are just being too critical. Same nonsense was spewed during Joe Jordan’s awful picks year after year.

Guess what: you can be critical. You know why? It was a bad pick, again! We don’t need more corner OFers! We need a franchise SS and pitching, or maybe a CFer! 

Why do victims frequently defend their abusers? 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I know many professional scouts. I talk to them, I listen. I am not a Homer ungrounded from reality, that twists like a pretzel to defend an org that hasn’t been in a World Series since almost 40 years ago.

My favorite response on here: You can’t judge for x of years. You are just being too critical. Same nonsense was spewed during Joe Jordan’s awful picks year after year.

Guess what: you can be critical. You know why? It was a bad pick, again! We don’t need more corner OFers! We need a franchise SS and pitching, or maybe a CFer! 

Why do victims frequently defend their abusers? 

You do realize I graded the draft a D, right?   There’s a difference between having an opinion, and thinking your opinion is a fact.   That’s my problem with your statements about Lawlar and Cowser.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do realize I graded the draft a D, right?   There’s a difference between having an opinion, and thinking your opinion is a fact.   That’s my problem with your statements about Lawlar and Cowser.  

And you are missing my larger point as well. Why are you skipping on a potential franchise SS to go for a college corner OFer? More likely to succeed but how is that closing the gap with the Sox and Yankees and Rays and Jays? It’s a head scratching approach.

and for the record the my scout friends didn’t like Hobgood pick, DJ Stewart pick or Kerstad pick. Pretty darn good track record. They also questioned not giving Yaz a longer look given how little talent we had in the org. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

And you are missing my larger point as well. Why are you skipping on a potential franchise SS to go for a college corner OFer? More likely to succeed but how is that closing the gap with the Sox and Yankees and Rays and Jays? It’s a head scratching approach.

That’s about the third time you’ve called Cowser a corner OF.   He plays CF.  He grades at 60 speed.  A lot of reports suggest he can stick there.   I’m not necessarily counting on that, but I don’t think it’s right to relegate him to a corner spot at this stage.   

Second point is that Lawlar may be a “potential” franchise SS, but what are the odds that he’ll actually be one?   Seems to me Lawlar has the higher upside, Cowser is the more likely to be an above average player.

Third point is this isn’t just Lawlar vs. Cowser.   It’s Lawlar vs. Cowser and whatever you can do with the $2 mm you save by choosing Cowser.   I’m not saying Lawlar might not be the better choice, but you’re effectively putting all your eggs in one basket.   

I’m not saying all this because I’m sure the O’s made the right choice here.   Just presenting the other side of the coin.   These choices aren’t easy, and there is a lot of information teams use in making these choices that we don’t have.   

So yeah, I’ll wait a long while before saying Elias made the wrong choice.   

36 minutes ago, TWpj said:

Gotta love the “I know a guy who knows a guy so I’m smarter than you” message board personas. 

And I gotta question the guy(s) he knows.

Wonder if Bikini Armstrong is one of the “guys he knows”. (Those of you from the old days around here will get that joke)

Back to the OP, Texas finally won a game yesterday, prevailing over the DBacks 5-4 to snap their 12 game losing streak.  The two teams face off again tonight before moving on to play better teams.  Someone’s gotta win.   

Gunnar Henderson and Jordan Westburg were both high draft picks and shortstops.  We also have Ortiz and Hernaiz.  A major league team needs three starting outfielders and one starting shortstop.  This whole theme of "we don't need outfielders" is wrong.  And the personal attacks that have been going on over the past few weeks is getting ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Gunnar Henderson and Jordan Westburg were both high draft picks and shortstops.  We also have Ortiz and Hernaiz.  A major league team needs three starting outfielders and one starting shortstop.  This whole theme of "we don't need outfielders" is wrong.  And the personal attacks that have been going on over the past few weeks is getting ridiculous.

I know of a lot more infielders who got converted to outfield than the reverse.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some pretty good catchers(future hall of famer for the giants*) were former stud SS's as well.  

*Mike Martin changed him from SS to C

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

True, but what does that have to do with this issue.  I don’t think you should avoid a position based on a perceived need at another one.  And I’m definitely not convinced that Lawler would have been a better pick than Cowser.

19 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

True, but what does that have to do with this issue.  I don’t think you should avoid a position based on a perceived need at another one.  And I’m definitely not convinced that Lawler would have been a better pick than Cowser.

Just that you don't really "need" to add outfielders via the draft.  Not to anywhere near the degree you need to draft middle infielders, pitchers and catchers.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just that you don't really "need" to add outfielders via the draft.  Not to anywhere near the degree you need to draft middle infielders, pitchers and catchers.

I don't disagree.  But, if there's an outfielder that you really like over the available infielder(s), go ahead and take him.