Zimmermann returning soon

Frobby

Bruce Zimmermann had a 3 inning rehab start for Aberdeen tonight, flowing a prior outing with n the FCL.   In his interview this week, Elias said that after this game Zimmermann would make one more rehab start at a higher affiliate, and then possibly return to the Orioles.  Maybe that’ll be the end of Jorge Lopez in the rotation.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bruce Zimmermann had a 3 inning rehab start for Aberdeen tonight, flowing a prior outing with n the FCL.   In his interview this week, Elias said that after this game Zimmermann would make one more rehab start at a higher affiliate, and then possibly return to the Orioles.  Maybe that’ll be the end of Jorge Lopez in the rotation.  

From your keyboard to Elias’ eyes, or, the eyes of his OH reader. 

I wonder if they'll move Lopez to the bullpen and DFA Valdez when Zimmermann comes back.

Lopez might be a guy who can come out of the pen and go through a lineup once or twice.  I wouldn't want him to come into a game unless he gets to start a clean inning, but if he can come in for the 6th and 7th innings if a starter goes 5, he might have some value.

Hopefully Zimmermann can provide some good starts for this team down the stretch, it would really help with the outlook of the team moving forward.  Means stepped up big time this year...and dare I say it, Harvey is stepping up?  If Zimmerman can deliver good outings down the stretch, that makes 2022's rotation look more appealing.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder if they'll move Lopez to the bullpen and DFA Valdez when Zimmermann comes back.

Lopez might be a guy who can come out of the pen and go through a lineup once or twice.  I wouldn't want him to come into a game unless he gets to start a clean inning, but if he can come in for the 6th and 7th innings if a starter goes 5, he might have some value.

Good call. I’ve wondered if he might even be good in a closer role with as hard as he throws and the movement he gets on the two seam FB. 

Whatever it is, they need to get him out of the rotation. The experiment has run its course.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Good call. I’ve wondered if he might even be good in a closer role with as hard as he throws and the movement he gets on the two seam FB. 

Whatever it is, they need to get him out of the rotation. The experiment has run its course.

He does have some decent stuff.  I dunno about having him come in as a closer, I wouldn't be opposed to it as we've got closer by committee going on right now.  But I agree, the experiment of him in the rotation has run its course.

They clearly like him enough to have kept him around this long and he does seem to have some decent raw stuff.  The two-seamer is nice, as you mentioned.   I know some people are going to cringe but I do believe he's in the plans, somehow, some way.  They could have easily sent him down and replaced him with a Watkins type a month or two ago but they didn't.  

Id rather get rid of Harvey. He’s had 18 clean innings but before that was Ubaldo/Miley bad. 
if you want to give Harvey some more time before the pixie dust wears off fine, but he’s no long-term piece. Wouldn’t mind seeing Lopez in the middle innings, though

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Id rather get rid of Harvey. He’s had 18 clean innings but before that was Ubaldo/Miley bad. 
if you want to give Harvey some more time before the pixie dust wears off fine, but he’s no long-term piece. Wouldn’t mind seeing Lopez in the middle innings, though

Harvey is helping you win games right now.  He isn’t a long term piece but in the right now, he’s better than Lopez.

Lopez can still be on the team as he has about as much chance to be a long term fixture in the rotation as Harvey does.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hopefully Zimmermann can provide some good starts for this team down the stretch, it would really help with the outlook of the team moving forward.  Means stepped up big time this year...and dare I say it, Harvey is stepping up?  If Zimmerman can deliver good outings down the stretch, that makes 2022's rotation look more appealing.

Lopez once through the lineup is his ideal usage. 

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Sounds like Scott could be headed to DL. Lopez has somehow lasted this long, may as well keep him a few weeks longer.

Couldn’t tell if you were responding to a post or you just have some info I haven’t seen. On what are you basing this?