Zimmermann returning soon

Frobby

21 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Couldn’t tell if you were responding to a post or you just have some info I haven’t seen. On what are you basing this?

After the game they said he had some kind of knee injury. He was showing on my fantasy team as day to day. Today they put him on the IL and activated Akin so they will need another move for Zimmerman. 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Id rather get rid of Harvey. He’s had 18 clean innings but before that was Ubaldo/Miley bad. 
if you want to give Harvey some more time before the pixie dust wears off fine, but he’s no long-term piece. Wouldn’t mind seeing Lopez in the middle innings, though

Harvey is here on a one year deal, no one's confusing him with being a long term solution.  His FIP is a respectable 4.24.  It's been documented on here, he's been a victim of some terrible fielding behind him this year.  Anyway, that FIP is the lowest it's been for him since 2018.  

I'm not saying we should sign him for another year, although it wouldn't be a terrible option if he continues to pitch well in the second half and he's our 4th or 5th starter next year.  None of our young arms have stepped up this year, in fact practically all of them have been a collective disaster.  

Harvey's no long term solution but I wouldn't mind giving him another one year deal next year if he keeps pitching well this year.  I don't mind rewarding a guy who's worked as hard as he has.  No one else deserves to be rewarded a spot in the rotation next year except Means.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 11:25 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder if they'll move Lopez to the bullpen and DFA Valdez when Zimmermann comes back.

Lopez might be a guy who can come out of the pen and go through a lineup once or twice.  I wouldn't want him to come into a game unless he gets to start a clean inning, but if he can come in for the 6th and 7th innings if a starter goes 5, he might have some value.

Hopefully Zimmermann can provide some good starts for this team down the stretch, it would really help with the outlook of the team moving forward.  Means stepped up big time this year...and dare I say it, Harvey is stepping up?  If Zimmerman can deliver good outings down the stretch, that makes 2022's rotation look more appealing.

Valdez has fired off 8 scoreless innings in a row. I think Shaun Anderson would get DFA’d before Cesar. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Valdez doesn't really fire off anything.  Kinda soft tosses everything.  But point taken.  Yes, Shaun Anderson would be another candidate to be DFA'd, too.

He sure doesn’t. And Anderson, while the results have been subpar he does throw hard. I’d like to see him have a little time w/ Holt to find out if they can get something out of him.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:31 PM, Il BuonO said:

Good call. I’ve wondered if he might even be good in a closer role with as hard as he throws and the movement he gets on the two seam FB. 

Whatever it is, they need to get him out of the rotation. The experiment has run its course.

Man, this guy frustrates me.  He has nasty stuff.  I don’t think he has “it” between the ears.  I’ve watched him warm up before games a couple times and he just goes through a sloppy routine, not a ton of focus, always chatting with whoever is around.  He scares me out of pen because you never know who is gonna show up.  I loved his stuff but I think I’m ready to pass.  

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Man, this guy frustrates me.  He has nasty stuff.  I don’t think he has “it” between the ears.  I’ve watched him warm up before games a couple times and he just goes through a sloppy routine, not a ton of focus, always chatting with whoever is around.  He scares me out of pen because you never know who is gonna show up.  I loved his stuff but I think I’m ready to pass.  

There may be something to that. I’ve said since the start of the season his stuff plays, but it makes no difference if he can’t execute. 

Even in a game like yesterday he only gave up one run, but he walked FIVE guys in 6 IP. The game before he gave up eight or nine hits. 

He was touching 97 again with good run and sink, but half the time he doesn’t know where it’s  going. 

He’s always joking around in the dugout, which is fine, if you’re game is fine. Otherwise, it seems like he’s more interested in having fun than in being good. This last part is of course, speculative, but at some point they won’t wait around for him to figure it out any more. 

Zimmermann pitched another rehab start today, this time in AAA.   Kind of a mixed bag — 3 shutout innings, but it took him 75 pitches and he walked four batters, and had a wild pitch and a balk.   He allowed two hit while striking out five.   I’m guessing his next start is with Baltimore, but we’ll see.   

• Thanks 1