Why did Elias DFA Tom Eshelman? Jones promotion and the OF traffic jam.

wildcard

Just now, Philip said:

Don’t you think this is a garbage product? Don’t you think we wasted time continuing to play Sisco when he showed he could neither hit nor defend? Aren’t we wasting time now playing some of the guys we have instead of bringing up some more guys who might do well? We lost a few games because MC can’t play left. Winning those games wouldn’t have harmed our “Plan”

Im all for bringing up Jones: he may be the only guy in AAA or AA combined who can hit. But put him in LF or DH. 

And yeah I don’t mind trying him at 2B for a while.

Sisco should have played more, not less.  Maybe a better overall option should have been brought in but I preferred him much more over Severino

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Sisco should have played more, not less.  Maybe a better overall option should have been brought in but I preferred him much more over Severino

It’s no ones fault that Sisco didn’t work out. I think he was given adequate chances to succeed. The guy raked at every level in the minors but then couldn’t hit MLB pitching. Eventually players have to come up and show what they can do. Sounds like Jones is about to get that opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

We had the same problem with Sisco and his repellent defense and I was right with him too, and they finally agreed and shipped him off. 

Sisco wasn't a GG catcher for sure but his defense here really wasn't that atrocious.  I wouldn't even say he was much of a liability.  He failed here for hit bat much more so than his glove.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Sisco wasn't a GG catcher for sure but his defense here really wasn't that atrocious.  I wouldn't even say he was much of a liability.  He failed here for hit bat much more so than his glove.

Yes I agree they didn’t dump him because of his defense but because of his bat, though his defense was awful. But his bat was bad for almost his entire time here, and there was no reason to keep him as long as we did. We are probably keeping Severino despite his defensive cataclysms because he hits once in a while.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Don’t you think this is a garbage product? Don’t you think we wasted time continuing to play Sisco when he showed he could neither hit nor defend? Aren’t we wasting time now playing some of the guys we have instead of bringing up some more guys who might do well? We lost a few games because MC can’t play left. 

I really don’t know where you’re getting this. There was a time Sisco was thought to be below average defensively, but when he left he had clearly improved and I preferred him to Severino. 
Severino is maybe one of the worst catchers I’ve ever seen.   

Sisco (-1 DRS) blocks the ball well, definitely improved his throwing, calls a decent game and his framing is also improved. Severino (-8 DRS) does none of those things well. 

Shoot, Sisco’s bat may have suffered due to his focus on defense. 

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He has much better stuff than Eshelman. Although I wouldn't really miss either player

Just shuffling deck chairs here. Eshelman will go back to AAA just like Wilkerson does. 

I’d like to see us cycle through the waiver wire more if possible for some infielders. Even if it’s another Leyba type. Those are the players we can give ABs too and hope we hit on one. 

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He has much better stuff than Eshelman. Although I wouldn't really miss either player

Exactly. Anderson throws hard. There may be a chance Holt can bring out his best. Nothing to lose by finding out. Eshelman is a known quantity and the quantity is minimal.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

About my other question: Why DFA Eshelman instead of Anderson? What’s so special about Anderson?

Nothing, but at least he has marginal major league stuff. Eshelman is one of the luckiest guy around to have made the majors with the stuff he has. Nice story, and he threw a couple good games here and there, but there are 100s maybe 1000s of guys in the minor leagues that are better than him. His slider was ok, but eventually he had to throw something else and nothing else was close to major league caliber. 

If it makes you feel any better, no one will claim him and he'll go back to AAA and be a break glass if random innings eater that can be DFA'd is needed.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nothing, but at least he has marginal major league stuff. Eshelman is one of the luckiest guy around to have made the majors with the stuff he has. Nice story, and he threw a couple good games here and there, but there are 100s maybe 1000s of guys in the minor leagues that are better than him. His slider was ok, but eventually he had to throw something else and nothing else was close to major league caliber. 

If it makes you feel any better, no one will claim him and he'll go back to AAA and be a break glass if random innings eater that can be DFA'd is needed.

Oh no I’m happy to see him go, don’t misunderstand me. I’m not Eshelman’s dad or anything. I’m just curious why Anderson is here instead.

Edited by Philip