Valaika DFA. Mateo replaces him

eddie83

I wonder if Elias secretly wants new ownership.  Obviously he can't come out and say it or he would be the former GM of the Orioles.  It would be interesting to know how much payroll and spending on minors/technology is limited.  I think the O's can win with a mid to small market payroll with a perennially good farm system and some of the best analytics in the business.  I'm not sure the O's can win w/ the penny pinching I have seen (firing coaches, trading players w/ minimal salaries like Iglesias).  The O's seem to be the main source of income of the Angelos brothers, so they are going to take a big chunk of change as their ownership fee.  If my premonition is true, the Angelos brothers are more interested in maximizing their income over making the O's a successful MLB franchise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Good post. I saw an article where he credited the Giants coaches with changing his approach when he got there and really freed him up but the Giants were quick to say they never expected what he's become. 

I must say: there's a lot of blame being hurled around in this thread over a guy hitting what this season? .222 / .313 / .468 / .782 (108 OPS+).  Not bad, but not a difference-maker and certainly insignificant compared to the loss during the previous admin. of players like Arrietta, Davies, Hader, Strop, and the wholesale dump that happened in late 2018.

• Upvote 2

I’m all for giving Mateo a chance (and Martin and whoever). Let them play the rest of the season, and see if they make any strides towards becoming a major leaguer. If not, then at least it’s entertaining. A little Barnum & Bailey is at least a distraction from this season in the abyss.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Tony goes a little overboard with the criticism of not finding good players off the scrap heap.  Those guys are few and far between.

That being said, I think the overall point is spot on.  Elias has done nothing to help the ML Team as of yet.  None of the trades he made has impacted the ML team.  The FA signings have done nothing to very little to help.  

The trades he has made for MiL players seem to have been good ones and have helped boost the ratings of the farm system but so what?  Everyone gets so excited about the farm system rankings but really, at the end of the day, BFD.  From 2009-2012, BA ranked our farm system 8,9, 21, 21.  And those early rankings were thanks to players like Matusz who did very little in the majors.  Those are hardly spectacular numbers and yet, the team won.  Why?  Because they hit on some cheaper ML talent and did well on some trades.  

So far, Elias is the opposite and while building the system is obviously important and a good sign for the future (and don’t forget a lot of these guys were already here and Adley was delivered to him on a silver platter), it means nothing right now.  

Elias wasn’t the GM is Houston.  He wasn’t the final decision maker.  I say that because people act like he was.  They talk about the Houston success but remember he had a lot of help and Houston did a lot on the ML level, especially with their pitching staff, that vaulted them to a title.  Elias had very little to do with that.  

In other words, Elias has done a great job of being a “minor league GM” but he has proven nothing in terms of being a major league GM.  This offseason is the time to really start judging him.  I can give him a pass for the first year since he started late.  I think he should have done more for 2020 but circumstances made it harder.  There are no excuses for this offseason.  I don’t want to hear about the CBA either.   It’s time to start making real moves and showing us that you can build a winning team because right now, winning in the minors is all he has shown us he can do.

An excellent post, Rob. Very fair legitimate criticism. I agree with everything you wrote.

It is time to build the major league team. The pitching has to be addressed. It would not surprise me to see Elias trade some minor leaguers (a few) this off-season. With many becoming rule 5 eligible, it seems to make some sense. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

An excellent post, Rob. Very fair legitimate criticism. I agree with everything you wrote.

It is time to build the major league team. The pitching has to be addressed. It would not surprise me to see Elias trade some minor leaguers (a few) this off-season. With many becoming rule 5 eligible, it seems to make some sense. 

It’s likely the only way he can add solid ML talent to the roster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

I must say: there's a lot of blame being hurled around in this thread over a guy hitting what this season? .222 / .313 / .468 / .782 (108 OPS+).  Not bad, but not a difference-maker and certainly insignificant compared to the loss during the previous admin. of players like Arrietta, Davies, Hader, Strop, and the wholesale dump that happened in late 2018.

He’s had two very good years before this one, and no matter what he does going forward he’s produced way more than anyone dreamed he would.  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s had two very good years before this one, and no matter what he does going forward he’s produced way more than anyone dreamed he would.  

I know, but we've got other ostensibly more gifted outfielders to give lots of at-bats to and the Smith, Jr. experiment is not going to be what saved or doomed the team. Still think it's almost nothing compared to the major damage wrought by losing all that pitching during the Showalter / Duquette years--and re-signing declining players like Hardy, Davis, and O'Day. And getting very little real talent in return for the regulars we dumped late 2018.

All of that was before Elias and much bigger blunders than anything he's done.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Tony goes a little overboard with the criticism of not finding good players off the scrap heap.  Those guys are few and far between.

That being said, I think the overall point is spot on.  Elias has done nothing to help the ML Team as of yet.  None of the trades he made has impacted the ML team.  The FA signings have done nothing to very little to help.  

The trades he has made for MiL players seem to have been good ones and have helped boost the ratings of the farm system but so what?  Everyone gets so excited about the farm system rankings but really, at the end of the day, BFD.  From 2009-2012, BA ranked our farm system 8,9, 21, 21.  And those early rankings were thanks to players like Matusz who did very little in the majors.  Those are hardly spectacular numbers and yet, the team won.  Why?  Because they hit on some cheaper ML talent and did well on some trades.  

So far, Elias is the opposite and while building the system is obviously important and a good sign for the future (and don’t forget a lot of these guys were already here and Adley was delivered to him on a silver platter), it means nothing right now.  

Elias wasn’t the GM is Houston.  He wasn’t the final decision maker.  I say that because people act like he was.  They talk about the Houston success but remember he had a lot of help and Houston did a lot on the ML level, especially with their pitching staff, that vaulted them to a title.  Elias had very little to do with that.  

In other words, Elias has done a great job of being a “minor league GM” but he has proven nothing in terms of being a major league GM.  This offseason is the time to really start judging him.  I can give him a pass for the first year since he started late.  I think he should have done more for 2020 but circumstances made it harder.  There are no excuses for this offseason.  I don’t want to hear about the CBA either.   It’s time to start making real moves and showing us that you can build a winning team because right now, winning in the minors is all he has shown us he can do.

Great post!

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Don’t care you won’t make it in the majors striking out more than 1/3 of the time. Guys no longer get away with it for long.

But some do--Javier Baez and Joey Gallo were hot items at the trading deadline.