Paul Fry

coe76

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Definitely could be a factor.  But there was that one stretch after the crackdown where he pitched well for about a month.   So, I’m not sure that’s all it is.  

Part of what is frustrating about cheating in baseball is that when the crackdown happens it’s hard to know what’s going on when players suddenly regress. We’re they cheating, are they playing thru injury? I have suspicions about several guys in the minors whose stuff went from plus to ordinary mid-season, but what’s the cause? It’s not fair to assume cheating. And even less fair to start speculating names on here. But for someone who really cares about tracking prospects’ development, I’m frustrated not knowing if a pitcher is a legit building block or a fraud. Same thing applies to the PED era with hitters. That’s why I’m all for serious punishments for players who cheat. 

I don’t know how many pitchers are suffering because of the ban on spider tack. But if it is a meaningful number, We should have a grandfather clause. If spider tack is really bad, then ban it for every new player coming up After a certain date, but everybody who has been using it before then can continue to use that for the duration of their career. It worked for Burleigh Grimes!

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Either he’s hurt, or has become a head case.   It’s bizarre.  The guy was awesome in the first half.  

Reminds me of what we did to Brad Brach. Brach was great in a certain role and then we rode him into the ground when Britton was hurt. He was never the same. 

Did Fry blow up the same way?  Not too many high pressure situations, but he has definitely become our top set up man. 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Paul Fry tries to dissect his troubles.  Says it alternated between mental and mechanics issues.   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/10/fry-on-struggles-confidence-why-rays-had-his-number-and-more.html

"I don’t know if I was tipping pitches or whatnot.”

That's the quote that jumped out at me. If you have to ask that question, you probably are tipping.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

"I don’t know if I was tipping pitches or whatnot.”

That's the quote that jumped out at me. If you have to ask that question, you probably are tipping.

Personally, I don’t think so.   In his last 5.2 innings for the O’s, he walked 15 batters.   That’s not because he was tipping pitches.   He also allowed 11 hits in that stretch, but to me, when you’re walking that many guys, you’re also not locating your pitches that are in the strike zone, or you are grooving pitches because you’re behind in the count and can’t afford another walk.   That’s a more likely explanation to me than tipping pitches.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Personally, I don’t think so.   In his last 5.2 innings for the O’s, he walked 15 batters.   That’s not because he was tipping pitches.   He also allowed 11 hits in that stretch, but to me, when you’re walking that many guys, you’re also not locating your pitches that are in the strike zone, or you are grooving pitches because you’re behind in the count and can’t afford another walk.   That’s a more likely explanation to me than tipping pitches.  

Good point. Also wasn't his implosion pretty well after the Spider Tack crackdown? So it shouldn't be that, either. I suspect overuse/deadarm. He does mention having to get velocity back in AAA.