Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

If I’m putting everything together, it sounds like the O’s will pay nothing in 2022 and then ~$5.6M in 2023-25, in addition to the deferrals. 

With that - and freeing up a 40-man roster spot for 2022 - this is about as good of a scenario as the O’s could have hoped for. 

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It reduces the Orioles 2022 payroll by roughly $15M, depending on how the MLB treats deferred payments.

The David Price number :)

Energizing news for the 2022 team.   I guess Mancini and Santander can now breathe easy getting all the RBI's they want without Villar-ing themselves.

Maybe this will be a spark like Buck stepping into the dugout about this time of year 9 years back.

Extra liquidity for signing bonus of Adley extension?

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, 17M paid out over 3 years plus he still gets the other 36M Deferred payments?  (He was supposed to get 42M and now he’s getting 36M)

That’s one interpretation of what’s been reported, but it’s still not completely clear to me that he’s giving up the $6 mm in deferred comp that he would have earned next year.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s one interpretation of what’s been reported, but it’s still not completely clear to me that he’s giving up the $6 mm in deferred comp that he would have earned next year.   

That's my interpretation, but agree, it is not clear.

At the end of the day, this doesn't really save all that much money.  The O's get some time value of money benefits and maybe they save the 6m of next years deferred, but that's it.

I’ve decided that I don’t care whether ownership saves $6-7 million.  It’s pennies on the dollar.  Distraction gone, win.  One less player taking any time at all from Mountcastle, who I believe is becoming a beast.  Open spot on the forty man this off season.

Davis gets to move on from a no win situation.  I get to remember good Chris Davis.  All wins from where I sit.

• Upvote 3

Just now, kidrock said:

That's my interpretation, but agree, it is not clear.

At the end of the day, this doesn't really save all that much money.  The O's get some time value of money benefits and maybe they save the 6m of next years deferred, but that's it.

I’m pretty sure Britt worded it poorly. That said he is off 40 man and no more spring training conversation about it. 

Time to appreciate his career instead of wishing it was over. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I’ve decided that I don’t care whether ownership saves $6-7 million.  It’s pennies on the dollar.  Distraction gone, win.  One less player taking any time at all from Mountcastle, who I believe is becoming a beast.  Open spot on the forty man this off season.

Davis gets to move on from a no win situation.  I get to remember good Chris Davis.  All wins from where I sit.

This team is on a budget and they are investing their budgeted dollars into international scouting and facilities along with improved analytics.  While 5m may not seem like much, it buys a lot of scouts, facility improvements and analytics people/machines.

Not trying to be combative, but 6m matters to this club.

Just now, kidrock said:

This team is on a budget and they are investing their budgeted dollars into international scouting and facilities along with improved analytics.  While 5m may not seem like much, it buys a lot of scouts, facility improvements and analytics people/machines.

Not trying to be combative, but 6m matters to this club.

I just find the back and forth on this topic- is it 5?, is it 6, fruitless.  But have at it.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m pretty sure Britt worded it poorly. That said he is off 40 man and no more spring training conversation about it. 

Time to appreciate his career instead of wishing it was over. 

Agree - my point was that it just doesn't save much money.