Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Between this thread and the game thread, you guys are making my harddrive weep and moan. Even with all the free space I have...

I am OUTTA HERE for tonight! See ya in the funny papers! :new_wave:

Did you say Sunday Papers?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me twice failing PED tests is a huge red flag.

I also remember reading about how other players on the 2014 team had to have a talk with Davis.  (obviously I'm not privy to the nature of the talk).

Combine that with the known aging curve of players similar to Davis and it was a bad risk from the onset.

Again, we have no evidence Thant Ir was anything other than the ADHD meds. He just didn’t look like a guy doing roids. He just looks like a guy that stopped lifting. Just my opinion with a touch of expe?rience 

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Again, we have no evidence Thant Ir was anything other than the ADHD meds. He just didn’t look like a guy doing roids. He just looks like a guy that stopped lifting. Just my opinion with a touch of expe?rience 

Not sure why you were quoting me there.

He twice failed PED tests.

As for the other thing...

bart2.0.jpg

What do steroid users look like?

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Pretty sure they consider Adderall a ped?

Right.

He failed two tests.

I'm not saying about him and steroids.  I think it's possible but then again I think a fair number of athletes are still using something. 

To me it's a red flag that someone would use any PED.  It's an even bigger red flag when they get caught and keep using.

Also I don't think body type is a good criteria for who may be using. 

On 8/13/2021 at 12:50 PM, Roll Tide said:

It doesn’t matter what he did before the contract other than the fact that it allowed him to get offered that deal for his services for the next six years at a ridiculous wage.

The Orioles weren’t paying for what he had already done. They paid him for what they expected him to be.

He got an A player contract to play for the Orioles and almost immediately checked out. 

What evidence do you have that he "checked out"?

As usual, the O's got fleeced again by Boras.  Why in the heck did the Os decide to basically pay Davis the entirety of what is left on his contract, albeit on an installment basis, when they had the huge negotiating chip of the possibility that there will be a work stoppage next season and Davis may get nothing or only a fraction of what is owed him in 2022?   Are they stupid?  I would have thought with that sword of Damacles hovering above Davis, the Os would have gotten Boras to agree to less money than what he eventually got for him, in this final buyout agreement.

What am I missing here, since to me, the Os seem super-naive in this negotiation and just plain dumb.

44 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

What evidence do you have that he "checked out"?

Didn't you see the earlier post by someone else of a super-huge-bicep Davis just prior to signing the contract, and then a super-thin-bicep Davis (no more steroids being taken by him, obviously) not long after signing the contract?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right.

He failed two tests.

I'm not saying about him and steroids.  I think it's possible but then again I think a fair number of athletes are still using something. 

To me it's a red flag that someone would use any PED.  It's an even bigger red flag when they get caught and keep using.

Also I don't think body type is a good criteria for who may be using. 

You’re leaving out the fact that he had a TUE for adderall. He didn’t fail for anabolic steroids and MLB had a confusing policy.

Beyond that weakness in the policy is that the JDA classifies stimulants as a separate category apart from "Performance Enhancing Substances," a definition it limits to anabolic androgenic steroids and agents (including hormones) with anti-estrogenic activity. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2014/09/12/chris-davis-suspension-orioles-adderall-mlb-drug-policy

That said, I was miffed he wasn’t diligent in having it renewed and missed the playoffs. 

Also, a few of y’all in this thread are forgetting the ST just last year when he said he was focusing more on lifting and came into camp noticeably bigger than the three previous seasons. Yes, it was only ST, but the board was buzzing with a “what if” attitude if he could continue into season the way he had looked last spring before play was halted.

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

As usual, the O's got fleeced again by Boras.  Why in the heck did the Os decide to basically pay Davis the entirety of what is left on his contract, albeit on an installment basis, when they had the huge negotiating chip of the possibility that there will be a work stoppage next season and Davis may get nothing or only a fraction of what is owed him in 2022?   Are they stupid?  I would have thought with that sword of Damacles hovering above Davis, the Os would have gotten Boras to agree to less money than what he eventually got for him, in this final buyout agreement.

What am I missing here, since to me, the Os seem super-naive in this negotiation and just plain dumb.

Replace the “O’s” with Angelos. Duquette traded for Trumbo to play 1B most likely because he expected Davis to sign elsewhere. 

I give credit to Boras for getting Angelos to bid against himself. After Davis’ 2014 season I was not comfortable giving him a long term contract especially at 7 years. 

I remember my friend (a Tigers fan) texting me congratulations when Davis resigned. My response was I don’t feel good about giving him 7 years. I thought it would take a few years for Davis to drop off instead of it starting immediately.

At least it’s over now and a roster spot has opened on the 40 man roster. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

You’re leaving out the fact that he had a TUE for adderall. He didn’t fail for anabolic steroids and MLB had a confusing policy.

Beyond that weakness in the policy is that the JDA classifies stimulants as a separate category apart from "Performance Enhancing Substances," a definition it limits to anabolic androgenic steroids and agents (including hormones) with anti-estrogenic activity. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2014/09/12/chris-davis-suspension-orioles-adderall-mlb-drug-policy

That said, I was miffed he wasn’t diligent in having it renewed and missed the playoffs. 

Also, a few of y’all in this thread are forgetting the ST just last year when he said he was focusing more on lifting and came into camp noticeably bigger than the three previous seasons. Yes, it was only ST, but the board was buzzing with a “what if” attitude if he could continue into season the way he had looked last spring before play was halted.

He didn't have an active TUE for Adderall.

That is the relevant point.  Not that he previously did.

He knowingly took a banned substance, got caught and continued to use it.

That is not someone I'm going to throw a ton of guaranteed money at.

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I give credit to Boras for getting Angelos to bid against himself. 

The contract was terrible but I don’t know that Angelos bid against himself.  The first offer reported was 7/$150 mm.   The final deal has a face value of 7/$161 mm but because of the deferrals had a present value of 7/$147 mm.   So they did some restructuring that they found mutually advantageous, but I would not necessarily say Angelos bid against himself.   

• Upvote 1