Yanks: 5/80 for AJ?

wildcard

That would be par for the course for the O's.

1) Act really interested in all the big-name, big-dollar free agents.

2) Act really surprised that the big-name, big-dollar free agents aren't getting 1998 offers.

3) Throw in the towel on the big guys.

4) Focus on 2nd- and 3rd-tier free agents who'll offer overpriced "stability" and "innings eating" instead of, you know, wins.

5) Finish 32 games out of first.

If anyone in the Warehouse was surprised by an $80M offer to Burnett they shouldn't be in the Warehouse. For weeks or months I've said that he'd sign a deal for at least 5/85. The only hard-and-fast rule of free agency is to add 30% or 50% to what you think is a reasonable offer, and you'll be right most of the time.

Jon,

Do you think we should be the team to offer 5/85 to Burnett?

I follow your thinking, and I agree that you get what you pay for. Do you think we're in the position to make that type of offer to AJ?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone really want to give AJ Burnett a five year deal given the type of pitcher he is?

I mean, it's not like he's going to gracefully age into Mike Mussina, painting corners with precision at 36 years old.

Just talking years, here... but there's no way I'd give him five years unless it was via a team option.

The Yankees can have him if he wants that kind of money. The Yankees are so stupid. Haven't they learned from their mistakes by not offering a former marlin pitcher who is injury prone big money. If the Yankees sign him' date=' he will be Carl Pavano part 2. [b']After reading this article, I think the Orioles should go after Andy Petitte. [/b]It looks like he is not going to be coming back to NY. Offer him a 1 or 2 year deal with an option.

Andrew,

Dude's going to retire or play in Houston... we have a better chance at signing Sabathia than we do at signing Pettite.

What difference does it make, Dip? We can go public with a 4/60 offer only to get subsequently blown out of the water afterwards.

In a situation like this, it doesn't matter when you present an offer. It's not like Burnett's gonna go, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, man!!!!!!!!!! I'll take it!!!!!!!!!" without listening to what the biggest bank account in baseball has to say.

Toronto offered 4/60. If we came in close to, but slightly above that, say 4/65, then the bidding would start around that area. The MFY have money to burn, but they are not stupid enough to bid 5/80 if other teams are in the 60-65 mil range.

Toronto offered 4/60. If we came in close to, but slightly above that, say 4/65, then the bidding would start around that area. The MFY have money to burn, but they are not stupid enough to bid 5/80 if other teams are in the 60-65 mil range.

So far as I know, the Jays offered 4/$54 mm. http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/23363 Where are you getting 4/$60mm?

I hear what Drungo is saying, but a rumor in the NY Post doesn't mean the Yankees are actually offering 5/$80 mm. If they are, well, God bless 'em.

So they're going to spend $200MM basically on two friggin pitchers. I guess missing the playoffs awoken a sleeping beast and we will have to deal with Burnett pitching AGAINST us for the next 5 years.

We dispatched him quite nicely this past year, IIRC.

I'm not sure Burnett wants to pitch in New York, anyways.

BTW, to the people here that are saying the Yankees are dumb for giving this kind of contract, you need to realize that the Yankees DON'T CARE.

Time and time again they spend foolishly (and yes, I think giving 16MM a year for AJ is stupid) but they come back for more, because they can. Misspending on guys like Pavano mean nothing to them because, in the end, it really doesn't effect them all that much.

BTW, to the people here that are saying the Yankees are dumb for giving this kind of contract, you need to realize that the Yankees DON'T CARE.

Time and time again they spend foolishly (and yes, I think giving 16MM a year for AJ is stupid) but they come back for more, because they can. Misspending on guys like Pavano mean nothing to them because, in the end, it really doesn't effect them all that much.

Yankees are dumb and yet we would be on the right track if we were the ones to sign AJ.

Is there a chance AJ could take less to play here?

Somehow, I doubt it. The Player's Union frowns upon taking less money, and could apply pressure to him.

Of course, he could always tell them to "stick it". Mussina did that on the contract he signed with us. If I'm not mistaken, Tom Glavine was ticked that Mussina had taken a "lowball" offer to extend here.

Yeah they do. It's a business make no mistake. And what's real money to a business is real money to the NYY. They do not spend money without calculating that the investment will provide a return. CC and AJ will put up wins, which will sell tickets, which will allow the YES network to increase their ad rates starting in Aug in anticipation of a pennant. Yeah, they count their dollars, don't fool yourself.

Yes, if the offer he receives from NY is 5/80, and we offer 5/75, we have a chance....

If the O's want him, they will offer at least that… and 4/80, 5/90 if they want the best offers.

I've been interested in Burnett since he was a young player with the Marlins. His stuff has been sick since day 1. The problem with this guy is he's a feast or famine type. Yes, it's possible that his team could make it to the post season and that he could go on a Josh Beckett-like run. However, the book on him says it's also quite possible that he could miss a lot of starts.

AJ has teriffic stuff, but he's also in his low 30's. I know we'll have to over pay for some players, but I just can't see the O's going 5 years at 15-18 per year on this guy. The risk is just too big.

Archived