(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

How are they going to be the worst Orioles team ever?   They’d have to go 9-40 the rest of the season to be as bad as  the 2018 team.  

I do think it’s pretty amazing that there is a team worse than us, though.   Maybe two, depending on how things go for Texas the rest of the way.   

I'm not sure they're the 1st,2nd or even the 3rd worst team as currently constructed. I think the Cubs,Dbacks and Nationals claim those spots. Since throwing the combined no hitter against the Dodgers on June 24th the Cubs have gone 10-32 good for a league worst .238 winning percentage over that stretch. There's a lot of terrible in MLB right now.

They're on pace for 54 wins, .336 winning percentage.  Their lowest mark before this year is 47 wins in 2018.  They'd have to go 10-39 (.204) the rest of the way to be the worst team in modern O's history.  The 2002 team finished the year 4-32, so something like that is plausible if unlikely.

The very first league team called the Orioles was the American Association club of 1882.  They finished 19-54-1.  If you ignore the draw that's a 42-win pace over 162 games.  So the current squad would have to go 3-46 (.061) the rest of the way to eclipse that mark.

• Upvote 2

This only matters if you're pining for Elijah Green in next year's draft.  I was for a while but after this past draft I don't have any confidence that Elias would take a high school outfielder with the #1 pick.  There seems to be a lot of good college talent in next year's draft so finishing with the 2nd pick in the draft is not going to cause me to lose any sleep.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

How are they going to be the worst Orioles team ever?   They’d have to go 9-40 the rest of the season to be as bad as  the 2018 team.  

I do think it’s pretty amazing that there is a team worse than us, though.   Maybe two, depending on how things go for Texas the rest of the way.   

The most amazing thing of all is the 2018 team being that bad.  Underachieved by 20 games at least. It’s remarkable. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The most amazing thing of all is the 2018 team being that bad.  Underachieved by 20 games at least. It’s remarkable. 

Would love to see an in-depth video analyzing the 2018 Orioles and how when everything went wrong, everything really went wrong for that team. It was the perfect storm of suckitude. 

I don't know. Arizona has now won two straight and now are just one game ahead of us in the all important win column. Plus 12 of our next 15 games are against teams either in first or second place. And 19 of Arizona's next 26 games are against teams in third place or worse including last place Pittsburgh and last place Texas. We might be primed to make our move!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Calling 2018 a team is a stretch.  More like a collection of individuals who wore the same uniform.  The attitude was epitomized by Manny saying he wanted to play shortstop to maximize his free agency value.  Talent wise, they were way better than the 2021 Orioles, but the all about me attitude sunk that team. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Calling 2018 a team is a stretch.  More like a collection of individuals who wore the same uniform.  The attitude was epitomized by Manny saying he wanted to play shortstop to maximize his free agency value.  Talent wise, they were way better than the 2021 Orioles, but the all about me attitude sunk that team. 

Hindsite of course, but the window slammed in 2016.  2017 the disfunction was rampant and doing nothing about it produced 2018.  

• Upvote 1

The 2018 team was the worst ever, easily.  It certainly wasn't the most talented team ever but they had more talent than what their record ended up.  It'd be a hard act to pass.  

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

Hindsite of course, but the window slammed in 2016.  2017 the disfunction was rampant and doing nothing about it produced 2018.  

Yep, 2017 was the indicator.  They lied to themselves that they could compete in 2018.  

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The 2018 team was the worst ever, easily.  It certainly wasn't the most talented team ever but they had more talent than what their record ended up.  It'd be a hard act to pass.  

Yep, 2017 was the indicator.  They lied to themselves that they could compete in 2018.  

Whenever anyone says chemistry doesn't matter, all you have to do is point toward the 2018 Orioles.

• Upvote 1