(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

1 minute ago, Paul in Virginia said:

The time to change a rule is BEFORE a season starts, not after.  I bet we're "safe."

Probably.   I could see a rule that says if two teams have the same record two years in a row, the team that got the tiebreaker in year 1 should not get it again in year 2.    But they shouldn’t impose that retroactively.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Probably.   I could see a rule that says if two teams have the same record two years in a row, the team that got the tiebreaker in year 1 should not get it again in year 2.    But they shouldn’t impose that retroactively.   

I don't think they would come up with something so specific and narrow.  Something like going to a lottery is more likely but once again, I don't see that as being something that would take place for 2022.

I don’t think MLB will try a draft lottery any time soon. Tanking in baseball doesn’t have the same impact as it would in hockey or basketball. Drafting kids out of high school and college is much more of a crap shoot in baseball than those other sports. The biggest change I can see might be the trading of draft picks, which I think would be great. 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don’t think MLB will try a draft lottery any time soon. Tanking in baseball doesn’t have the same impact as it would in hockey or basketball. Drafting kids out of high school and college is much more of a crap shoot in baseball than those other sports. The biggest change I can see might be the trading of draft picks, which I think would be great. 

I'd say that the current strategy of tanking is having a pretty big impact on the sport.

I've certainly seen a ton of ink about it.

5 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

The time to change a rule is BEFORE a season starts, not after.  I bet we're "safe."

True, but the subject is the 2022 amateur draft, not the 2021 season. The rules for that draft haven't been set, I don't think.

If the CBA, or MLB unilaterally, changed those rules, it would be pretty hard for the Orioles to argue that the change is unfair since were relying on getting the 1:1 pick when they lost 110 games.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It's low hanging fruit to laugh at the doom-and-gloom crowd, the sky-is-falling Chicken Littles, and the run-for-the-hills Billies.  So, fruit duly plucked. 🤣 However, there is some truth within their pessimistic outlook.  It's absolutely fair to be concerned about our pitching.  Who's to say who is right or wrong in how much concern there should be?  Well, we all have a say.  It's why we're here.  The beloved @Roy Firestone is admittedly the most pessimistic Game Thread poster in history, yet no one questions his love of the O's.  Nor should we berate those with strongly pessimistic views about our chances as being less of a fan.   It's just my two cents, but I think it's readily apparent that we need to add to our pitching and I believe Elias will address it.  A quality starter and a reliever or two would likely do wonders for the team... and our collective sanity.   I just don't feel we'd need to deal Holliday, or Mayo, or Basallo to get there.  Then again, I may be wrong.  
    • Who are the Os top three? Burnes, GRod, and…….?
    • There never is going to be an “all in” year.   Elias made the mostly in move by getting Burnes and then the baseball gods decided to cut down Bradish, Means, and Wells.  Coulombe too.  The Dodgers are “all in” every single year.  1 WS trophy in a shortened season. Elias is going to make some moves but he’s not dipping into the top 3 prospects and maybe not even Kjerstad.   You can’t make a habit of trading guys with 6+ years of control for players with minimal amounts of control.  Yeah, this was the Burnes year and we got some bad luck.  Maybe we can still piece it together but Elias is only going to do that up to a point. As far as next year, who knows.  
    • I don't disagree at all.  I just put a much stronger emphasis on the top two guys in a series instead of three.  In most five game series your third starter will only pitch once.  Win the division and Kremer may make only 4 postseason starts even as our #3 all the way through the World Series.  That's why I would be focused on bullpen arms instead of a starter.  I love the idea of a starter with years of control to help offset the loss of Burnes to FA but I just don't see anyone that attractive that will be available.  This team's path through the AL is to have Burnes and Rodriguez be aces and the lineup to continue to be the best in the league regardless of who the third or fourth starters are.  
    • Your comment basically confirms what I said. You admit that Suarez and Irwin would regress, which they have. As a result of that regression, they are no longer reliable members of a powerful rotation. Therefore, we will slowly sink unless Mike gets someone better, and not just one, either. How is it an irrational fear to say we will slowly sink if we don’t make acquisitions? You just agreed that Suarez and Irwin aren’t adequate, so the concern is completely valid. Add to that Kremer’s spotty performance and injury concerns, and Povich remaining a huge question mark. Outside our top two, we got nobody dependable. And that’s just discussing the starters. your comment is curious because you try to refute what I was saying but instead confirm it, and you close by admitting they “have to improve on obvious needs”  We can debate what would constitute “going overboard,” but it’s clear from his past transactions that Mike cares a lot about the price he pays for an asset, so I think, far from overpaying, he’s more likely to duplicate what he did last season.
    • More should have been done to improve the team's rotation and Bullpen in the offseason.  Since John Angelos controlled the purse strings, additional spending was just not happening.  I put that on Angelos not Elias.  Does anyone think that Elias would not have liked say $30 million to add to 2024 payroll to strengthen the pitching?  This trade deadline is a time for Rubinstein to prove himself as much as Elias.
    • The Moose hits it!!!! Anyone who sets up their expectations to world series or bust needs good strong blood pressure meds. The year we win it will probably be a year we didn't expect. I'm enjoying the O's are relavent again after way to many years in the wilderness. Get to the dance and take your chances. That's my moto.
  • Popular Contributors