2021 AFL Predictions

sportsfan8703

24 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t think we should send any AAA guys to the AFL. If you want a AAA guy to get reps, have them play Winter ball in the DR or PR. It s a higher level of comp. 

Just another thought, but Elias may be making a few deals with prospects going out. The AFL is also a chance to showcase those players, maybe 1-2, he may be willing to move. The roster decisions prior to the R5 draft are going to be interesting. 

I think we’re going to see a big amount of turnover on the 40 man roster over the offseason. Between FA’s, non tenders, trades, and DFAs. 

The promotions from the FCL to Delmarva could impact this. If Cowser was promoted it makes it more realistic for him to be considered for the AFL. 

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we’re going to see a big amount of turnover on the 40 man roster over the offseason. Between FA’s, non tenders, trades, and DFAs. 

The promotions from the FCL to Delmarva could impact this. If Cowser was promoted it makes it more realistic for him to be considered for the AFL. 

With Cowser, he might be a candidate, but I think they will want him to get into instructs and work on some swing changes to add some loft. And they will want to get him into a conditioning routine for the off season as well. He makes great contact and he is more advanced than many thought, but they will want him to be able to drive the ball in the air more. 

I could see Bannon (due to missed time) or McCoy, Stowers, Handley, and Adam Hall go on the defense side. Bannon or McCoy would mainly be there to continue to work on a utility role, similar to how Stevie was there a few seasons ago. 

Pitching wise, it is harder to tell. With an actual minor league season, they could shut players down to avoid any extra throwing, even if the AFL usually has 1 or 2 inning appearances every week by a pitcher. Sedlock could be an option, but again, hard to tell what they will want to do with pitchers.

Really doubt guys who played a full season end up going. That takes Adley, Westburg and Gunnar out of the conversation. Likewise, any pitchers who threw a lot of innings or otherwise were active for most of the season. As others have said, that rule might not extend to lesser prospects though.

So I'd expect Vavra. The one guy I'd be curious to see them send though is Mayo. Played short season. Just getting promoted. I wonder how he'd fit in.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The #1 guy I hope to see there is Kjerstad but I doubt it.  Would be great though.

Vavra makes sense because of all the missed time.  Same with Ortiz if he is back.

Kjerstad hasn't even started "baseball activities".  I assume that means he is still working on conditioning.   liI would ke to see this guy play again, but he seems a long shot to ever be a top prospect again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I don’t think we’ll see any Top 10 players go to AFL. I assume Elias would rather have them receive more individualized instruction from our coaching and analytic staff. 

I could see that side of things l, but I also see that players lost a year of game time because of Covid. A guy like Mayo didn’t really have a HS Sr year of baseball and then didn’t play a game this year until the short season clubs started. 30 games for him would be worth it.