Jorge Mateo 2021

interloper

Ok, I googled it.  If I understand what I am reading and if google is correct- neither is guaranteed- no team in the NL would have put a claim in on Mateo, or they would have received priority.

I don't know why no NL team claimed him but it seems that is the case.  I don't think it's all that amazing.  There's probably only 2-3 teams at any given time in any league where it makes sense to be scouring the wire, particularly the time of year.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I surely didn't expect a 113 OPS+ in his first 105 plate appearances here and just 1 error in his first 16 games, but now... I'm kinda expecting him to keep it up and maybe even improve offensively.  The talent was always there - he was a top 100 prospect (sometimes top 30) from 2016 through 2018.  He just didn't develop as quickly as most expected him to.  But ya watch the guy play, and the tools are so obvious, and he knows this is his opportunity of a lifetime.  I hope to the baseball Gods that I'm not jinxing him, but I think he'll get better, and this is not a Felix Pie situation.        

Or Tim Beckham, who went on a 12-game hitting streak to begin his career with the O's, slashing .531/.549/.939 with seven doubles, two triples, three home runs, nine RBIs and 14 runs scored.

Personally, love watching Mateo, he's an exciting player, and would love for him to seize the SS job in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Or Tim Beckham, who went on a 12-game hitting streak to begin his career with the O's, slashing .531/.549/.939 with seven doubles, two triples, three home runs, nine RBIs and 14 runs scored.

Personally, love watching Mateo, he's an exciting player, and would love for him to seize the SS job in 2022. 

Yes, he’s probably more like Tim Beckham. 

Jeez, people here almost never learn. Maybe Mateo is turning a corner but the odds are he’s not. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Jeez, people here almost never learn. Maybe Mateo is turning a corner but the odds are he’s not. 

Come on, Moose.   Your probably said the same thing about Justin Turner!   lol

Let me add.  You are right about the odds being against him.   However, if you look at his career he has progressed, albeit pretty slowly.   He OPS'd a pitiful .633 in the PCL in 2018 but followed that up with a .833 OPS in the PCL in 2019 which is no great shakes in Las Vegas but it does show progress.   With no minor league season he got a few AB's in San Diego last year.   This year he got more of the same.   I'm not sure what Mateo becomes but it looks like he's always gotten better from one year to the next.  He's getting regular AB's now for the first time since 2019 and doing decently.     As long as he can hold down SS or 2B defensively, sign me up to see what he can do with 500 ML AB's under his belt.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tony likes him. I trust his opinion on scouting players over anyone else here.  I too was skeptical at first but he is showing some plus tools. The only question is how good his hands will become. 

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or Mateo is going to turn yet another corner.

I don’t know what to make of Mateo, but I’m going to be surprised if he keeps paying at a .791 OPS clip.

If Mateo can defend and run, then he’s an adequate, if not better, utility guy. If he can hit and run, He might be an every day player. However we know he can definitely run. It’s too early to judge anything else, but I’m definitely excited about seeing what he can do next spring training

2 hours ago, Philip said:

If Mateo can defend and run, then he’s an adequate, if not better, utility guy. If he can hit and run, He might be an every day player. However we know he can definitely run. It’s too early to judge anything else, but I’m definitely excited about seeing what he can do next spring training

Needs to work on his defense, but Mateo has potential and could stick around for a few years. Orioles finally have some speed on the roster after years of being station to station on the bases. 

Jorge's season is over.   He has been placed on the 60 day IL with right lumbar inflammation.

Pat Valaika comes from Norfolk to replace Mateo on both the 28 man and 40 man roster.

Jorge's final line for the 2021 Orioles:  .280/.328/.421/.748.   

For 2021 as a whole, including his time with the Padres:  .247/.293/.376/.670.