Connolly article on pitching

Sports Guy

I haven't agreed with a lot of the draft decisions to put it kindly, but even among the best prospects there's a relatively high bust rate. If you have Means, Hall, and GRod all pitching like #2-3 starters and a couple of 4.00-4.50 ERA starters on the back end of the rotation that's at least decent. I figure something like the 2012-2014 rotation would be fine. No aces, but no guys with a an ERA over 5 either. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Are you saying Mickey Jannis is NOT an option???

?

Looked OK for two innings.  Seemed like he would have been better bullpen depth than some of the options we had.  I agree that the second time someone saw his stuff he was going to get rocked, but that goes for alot of relievers.

4 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Looked OK for two innings.  Seemed like he would have been better bullpen depth than some of the options we had.  I agree that the second time someone saw his stuff he was going to get rocked, but that goes for alot of relievers.

He’s not someone I blog about in response to answering a question regarding the lack of organizational pitching depth. He’s filler at best.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh no…don’t say that’s a fear.  If you do, your arguments are baseless and you don’t know anything.  All that matters is the Os are ranked #2.

#2 is a nice ranking but anyone who doesn't want to look further into what's going on in the minors has their head in the sand.  

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

#2 is a nice ranking but anyone who doesn't want to look further into what's going on in the minors has their head in the sand.  

Pretty much…and if you say anything about any of the players, you are wrong.

I was blocked by someone (who I often linked to on here) on Twitter yesterday because I was questioning some of the guys.  I said Hall is an injury concern and his progress has been delayed almost 2 years now and the response I got was, well I guess he should just retire, he’s going to be nothing..something along those lines.

Its like, they are taking it personal that you don’t see this system as some dominant force.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Pretty much…and if you say anything about any of the players, you are wrong.

I was blocked by someone (who I often linked to on here) on Twitter yesterday because I was questioning some of the guys.  I said Hall is an injury concern and his progress has been delayed almost 2 years now and the response I got was, well I guess he should just retire, he’s going to be nothing..something along those lines.

Its like, they are taking it personal that you don’t see this system as some dominant force.

Desperation manifests itself in strange ways.  

Hall's injury concerns are very real.

If the system could just develop two more SP's in addition to GrayRod that would alleviate alot of concerns. Wether its Hall, Bradish, Baumann, Knight, Rom or Brnovich. I've kind of soured on Lowther, Akin and Kremer mainly from their poor results in AAA after getting lit up in Baltimore. Though Akin did go 5 innings last night. (Amazing I know). Going into the 21 draft Elias had to know many of these guys progress and scouting reports. And he still went extra heavy on the OF's. Makes me think he still sees something positive in our farm, but Im not sure what.  

2 hours ago, O-The-Memories said:

I haven't agreed with a lot of the draft decisions to put it kindly, but even among the best prospects there's a relatively high bust rate. If you have Means, Hall, and GRod all pitching like #2-3 starters and a couple of 4.00-4.50 ERA starters on the back end of the rotation that's at least decent. I figure something like the 2012-2014 rotation would be fine. No aces, but no guys with a an ERA over 5 either. 

Those teams had mediocre starting pitching talent, but compensated with gloves, homers, and bullpen. We may have our replacements for Wieters and Jones and more D in the corner OF positions, but it's nowhere to be seen at 3rd, SS, and 2nd base. we might be able to develop a Jim Johnson, Matusz, Britton, etc. out of the failed SP prospects and young vets like Lopez. What type of offense the O's stage is going to be interesting to see.

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Desperation manifests itself in strange ways.  

Hall's injury concerns are very real.

Hall worries me at this point and I can't put him in the same class as Grayson Rodriguez. If DL Hall becomes a good #3 starter then great, but Elias should be planning like Hall won't be available when building out the pitching staff.

Maybe Hall's injury problems will subside the next couple years, but it usually doesn't work that way with pitchers. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Double negative in that last sentence.  

I’m disappointed that so few names are on this list.   Overall it has been a discouraging year on the pitching front, though Grayson has been brilliant and deserves all the accolades he’s received.  

Ummm hate to correct a lawyer but that sentence, though awkward, is grammatically correct.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hall worries me at this point and I can't put him in the same class as Grayson Rodriguez. If DL Hall becomes a good #3 starter then great, but Elias should be planning like Hall won't be available when building out the pitching staff.

Maybe Hall's injury problems will subside the next couple years, but it usually doesn't work that way with pitchers. 

I think starting pitchers should be replaced by robots. I'm fine with human relievers, batters, and especially fielders. Don't know if catchers could deal with the bots. Ohtani is the bridge.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Those teams had mediocre starting pitching talent, but compensated with gloves, homers, and bullpen. We may have our replacements for Wieters and Jones and more D in the corner OF positions, but it's nowhere to be seen at 3rd, SS, and 2nd base. we might be able to develop a Jim Johnson, Matusz, Britton, etc. out of the failed SP prospects and young vets like Lopez. What type of offense the O's stage is going to be interesting to see.

I think the O's are deep in 2B that are at the majors or near it.

1) Mateo best position is 2B.

2) Vavra is a 2B and will be put on the 40 man roster the fall.  He still needs to play AAA but being on the 40 man makes him more likely to be called up next season.

3) Urias best position is 2B.

4) Bannon's best position is 2B.  He is a high error 3B.

And that does not count Jones who is a high error 2B that has fallen off offensively at AAA.  I personally think his best position is LF if he can hit.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's are deep in 2B that are at the majors or near it.

1) Mateo best position is 2B.

2) Vavra is a 2B and will be put on the 40 man roster the fall.  He still needs to play AAA but being on the 40 man makes him more likely to be called up next season.

3) Urias best position is 2B.

4) Bannon's best position is 2B.  He is a high error 3B.

And that does not count Jones who is a high error 2B that has fallen off offensively at AAA.  I personally think his best position is LF if he can hit.

Agreed, in general, but you're being optimistic, which is fine, I hope it happens. I'm sure one of these can match what Andino provided, but I'm not so sure that they can match what Schoop did and does. And as your notes show, second base is a lot easier to fill than SS or 3B. We will need what Hardy and (maybe a little less than what) Machado provided if the SP is mediocre. Maybe Elias can luck out again with an Iglesias or a Galvis more in his prime when it matters.

40 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Agreed, in general, but you're being optimistic, which is fine, I hope it happens. I'm sure one of these can match what Andino provided, but I'm not so sure that they can match what Schoop did and does. And as your notes show, second base is a lot easier to fill than SS or 3B. We will need what Hardy and (maybe a little less than what) Machado provided if the SP is mediocre. Maybe Elias can luck out again with an Iglesias or a Galvis more in his prime when it matters.

The 2012-16 team had plenty of holes (SP, outfield defense, OBP). We don't need to rebuild in exactly the same mold to have the same level of success.