Potential new source of revenue?

Ruzious

8 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

It's marketing. It seems like they intend to use the athletes as local celebrities in promotions. Basically the same as if the O's signed the Towson Tigers QB to make appearances at games and produce some social media videos about how fun a night at Camden Yards is. 

In the article, it says they're paying the student athletes with a $500 stipend, free tickets, and merch. Pretty cheap marketing if you ask me.

Not sure that would really move the needle much in a city like Baltimore that doesn't really have a big athletics school - but I could see this approach working well in the South where high school football and college sports are a big deal.

Yeah, come see the UGA QB has more appeal than the Towson QB. Atlanta is one of the few ML cities that has the ability to pull off something like this. Maybe LA. 

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who would want to tie their brand to the Orioles these days?

I think its more about college athletes tying themselves to the machinery of an existing press and communications department than the organization.

Its a good investment for the team because they already have all the processes, contracts and industry contacts in place and they can probably handle an NIL contract within existing staff.

For a team in Atlanta getting the NIL contract for some SEC stud football player could be lucrative.

If I were the Orioles I would be doing the same but for ACC basketball players.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:37 PM, Ruzious said:

This isn't what I'd normally expect a Major League Baseball frachise to get involve with, but Atlanta's doing it.  Braves sign UGA, Georgia Tech athletes to NIL deals (ajc.com)  NIL (name, image, likeness) deals could become somewhat lucrative for the better known athletes.  Guessing boosters will abuse things like this to get their favorite athletes to go to their schools.  

This is not what I was expecting to read when I clicked on this thread just now.

I was fully expecting a joke thread suggesting that the Orioles allow fans to pay a few hundred bucks to be allowed to pitch to a batter at home games for the rest of the season.

:leaving:

On 8/23/2021 at 7:55 PM, Sports Guy said:

We will still call it Camden Yards or Oriole Park either way.  Its just a name on the building.

The reality is the current name is pretty dumb.  That's why no one calls it Oriole Park at Camden Yards.  Hell, people write OPACY because they don't want to type it all out.

I can't think of any reason for a team in a small-mid market NOT to sell stadium naming rights.  

It's basically free money.  

The stadium name doesn't matter to me. The on-field product is 100% all I care about. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:58 AM, waroriole said:

Yeah, come see the UGA QB has more appeal than the Towson QB. Atlanta is one of the few ML cities that has the ability to pull off something like this. Maybe LA. 

I’m pretty sure they will not be able to use the university name or even “NCAA” in NIL deals with the player only.  Best they would be to promote is would be something like “college football QB” such and such.

This could change if the NCAA / colleges get on board, but seeing how hard they fought to keep the current system, I don’t expect this to happen anytime soon.

1 hour ago, crowmst3k! said:

I can't think of any reason for a team in a small-mid market NOT to sell stadium naming rights.  

It's basically free money.  

The stadium name doesn't matter to me. The on-field product is 100% all I care about. 

Agreed - I don't care if they call it Burger King Field at Popeyes Stadium - as long as they have a good on-field product.  Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having a Popeyes in the stadium.  

I'm guessing that the biggest new source of revenue will be... from legalized gambling.    

• Upvote 1

As

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Agreed - I don't care if they call it Burger King Field at Popeyes Stadium - as long as they have a good on-field product.  Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having a Popeyes in the stadium.  

I'm guessing that the biggest new source of revenue will be... from legalized gambling.    

As a Saints fan, I can say that probably 95% of Saints fans will call it "The SuperDome" or "The Dome" and not "Caesar's SuperDome".  It used to be "Mercedes-Benz Dome" and before that "Louisiana Superdome" but few people outside of the media actually used those names. 

On the other hand, as a Caps fan, I can say that everyone gets confused.  Some people are still calling it MCI Center or Verizon Center even though its been "Capitol One Arena" since 2017.   

I think O's fans will probably stick with Camden Yards, or even The Yard or The Warehouse even if it does get renamed.    

5 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I’m pretty sure they will not be able to use the university name or even “NCAA” in NIL deals with the player only.  Best they would be to promote is would be something like “college football QB” such and such.

This could change if the NCAA / colleges get on board, but seeing how hard they fought to keep the current system, I don’t expect this to happen anytime soon.

The universities leave no marketing money on the table. They will adjust very quickly to the landscape change to maximize their marketing revenue. They will partner with sponsors to facilitate NIL when it works for them. Universities may whine about having to share income with student athletes and by the loss of power over the athletes, but they will not want their big stars in commercials/media wearing generic gear. The universities have long-term branding and loyalty building plans that are essential to their economic futures. They will make sure that the school's name is associated with star players. 

21 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'd love Hip Hop Fish and Chicken Field if we're going with fast food. (I SINCERELY doubt that HHFC has pockets deep enough to do this). 

2 hours ago, crowmst3k! said:

I'd love Hip Hop Fish and Chicken Field if we're going with fast food. (I SINCERELY doubt that HHFC has pockets deep enough to do this). 

I could live with Krispy Kreme Field.  Free doughnuts whenever the team scores 10 runs.  Better yet - when the opponent scores 10 runs.