Michael Baumann MLB debut

Just Regular

Two innings along, he has matched my prior that watching him pitch will be a little bit like watching a freight train barrel through the strike zone, at least if he's putting the ball where he wants.

A nice lead against the Royals helps.    I could imagine him getting most of the rest of the game if he keeps getting the outs.

15 pitches along, Kevin Brown on the broadcast called it 10 fastballs, 4 cutters/sliders, 1 changeup.

He pitched like a guy who understood what you do with a 4-run lead.   Threw a lot of first pitch strikes, and 31 of 46 overall.   Honestly he didn’t miss many bats at all, and he yielded more fly balls than he usually does, but for the most part he kept guys off the barrel and that was enough.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d let him take Wells spot in the rotation, A Wells available for bulk work out of the pen. Even though he had some hard hit balls and didn’t miss many bats it’s clear to me who’s stuff is better.

Baumann looks like he could be something, Wells looks like he’ll be trying to find a way to just stay at the ML level. He had a lot of hard hit balls as well and really struggled at one point to throw strikes with the curve. I thought his slider was better, but he didn’t throw it much.

They could drop Harvey at this point to make the picture a little clearer. 

Means

Akin

Lowther

Baumann

A Wells 

Ellis

Or, they could keep Harvey and continue to piggy back Baumann, Wells, Lowther or Ellis in some combination.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d let him take Wells spot in the rotation, A Wells available for bulk work out of the pen. Even though he had some hard hit balls and didn’t miss many bats it’s clear to me who’s stuff is better.

Baumann looks like he could be something, Wells looks like he’ll be trying to find a way to just stay at the ML level. He had a lot of hard hit balls as well and really struggled at one point to throw strikes with the curve. I thought his slider was better, but he didn’t throw it much.

They could drop Harvey at this point to make the picture a little clearer. 

Means

Lowther

Baumann

A Wells 

Ellis

Or, they could keep Harvey and continue to piggy back Baumann and Wells.

Akin?

better to piggyback Lopez and Akin, IMHO. A more different pair of throwers would be difficult to come by.

• Thanks 1

I would like to Wells get the rest of the season to see if he can settle in.  Same for Baumann.  I watched Baumann's last inning.  He missed location on virtually every pitch.  It's only one outing but he looks like a thrower more than a pitcher.  The stuff sounds like what he was doing at Norfolk, 93-95.  I believe he was a couple of ticks higher prior to the elbow issue.