Local media

Pushmonkey

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Everyone knows this team was going to be bad. The predictors gave them a 0% chance to make the playoffs.

What do you want the media to tell us that we don't already know?

I would prefer to read/hear about the good things that are part of this bad year instead of how bad it is. I know it's bad. I don't need to constantly hear about it.

We all know it’s bad.  The questions of why it’s so bad, and what needs to be done to address it, are important.   

In all honesty, the O’s have underperformed this year.   The same outfit that gave them a 0% chance to make the playoffs also had them winning 60ish games, if I recall correctly.   We are falling well short of that.  

16 hours ago, thatbearflies said:

You can ask tough questions that need to be elaborated on, but we the fanbase also need to be willing to hear the answers, even if it is something we don't like or if it is not phrased how we want it. 

Your comment, overall, was splendid, But my rebuttal to this sentence is that the tough questions are not being asked, and most questions are not being answered at all.

I am perfectly willing to hear a difficult answer, but I am impatient with a non-answer, and I am impatient with the beats for not asking meaningful questions.

Roch is a shill, And I find it annoying that he keeps insisting that he is an unbiased sports journalist when he is nothing of the sort, but I understand given his role as an employee of the team that he has to be a propagandist.

But Connolly, Meoli and the gang are not employees and are free to delve deeper. They don’t.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Your comment, overall, was splendid, But my rebuttal to this sentence is that the tough questions are not being asked, and most questions are not being answered at all.

I am perfectly willing to hear a difficult answer, but I am impatient with a non-answer, and I am impatient with the beats for not asking meaningful questions.

Roch is a shill, And I find it annoying that he keeps insisting that he is an unbiased sports journalist when he is nothing of the sort, but I understand given his role as an employee of the team that he has to be a propagandist.

But Connolly, Meoli and the gang are not employees and are free to delve deeper. They don’t.

I know what you mean about Roch. I don't think I would call him a shill, but he definitely engages with the fanbase in a way that is dismissive and sort of "if you are unhappy with 'X' aspect of team, you just can't understand the intricacies as to why that is lacking or the overall strategy." Maybe there are some Roch fans who disagree, but that has always been my read of him, wrong or right.

I think on some level though, the reporting falls to the macro vs micro level as well. So on the macro (national), is it good to see a team clearly not doing everything it can to win, as to improve draft position and expedite the rebuild at the expense of the fans and a professional, competitive product on the field? I think we can all agree, "No." Regardless of how invested you are in the current O's strategy, no one can claim optically that this looks good. However, on the micro level, where maybe you are focused more on the franchise than the overall picture of baseball, I think there is more understanding of what they are attempting to do so, they just want to see that plan executed rather than critiquing the overall philosophy of the plan. But, and what I think people find more satisfying, the tone of the national media is far more harsh and has that "this is unacceptable" tinge to it, where the local has the "yeah it sucks, but just you wait!" While I repeat "just you wait!" to myself every night to help myself sleep, when you see this product right now I don't think it is crazy at all for O's fans to want to hear a local and national chorus of "this is unacceptable." 

Sort of a question for you and anyone else who wants to respond obviously, but what are some examples of the questions to Elias, Hyde, or Orioles' ownership in general that when asked they totally dodge the question? I'm asking this in good faith as well because I am willing to call a spade a spade. If they are clearly just tap dancing away or feeding you some word salad to evade, we can all call that out. From the interviews and the articles that I engage with, I usually feel the answers are corporately stated, but do address the question and speak to a consistent messaging. But I live in Pennsylvania now, not Maryland, and I may not be engaging with the same stuff that is disappointing you all so, I am willing to take a look. 

And final thing because I am a chef of word salad myself, I hope you didn't take the "unable to hear the answers they give" portion as being pointed at you. You seem to engage with everything in good faith so, I'm enjoying reading your responses and others in this post as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure what is the point of your repeated questions. I’ve answered twice.

Imagine asking a politician a clear and direct question and receiving a clear and direct answer, even if it’s an answer you don’t like. I don’t understand why you don’t see that as a positive.

Remember, the essence of communication is not agreement but understanding. But equivocations and non-answers and digressions don’t contribute to any kind of understanding: on the contrary, they make understanding impossible because they deliberately avoid answering the question.

edit: Here’s an example. When Beto O’Roarke was running for governor of texas, he was asked about gun control. He proudly and clearly said,”I’m going to take your assault rifles away.” ( he might actually have said “guns” but he got blasted in the election so it doesn’t really matter)
I was delighted he made a clear statement even though the statement itself was terrible in almost every way. I respected him for saying it, while other candidates gave typical generic and meaningless replies to the same question.

What's important to you about receiving clear and direct answers from people that are in charge of your favorite sports team?

What impact would clear messaging from someone like Elias have on your fan experience?

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's important to you about receiving clear and direct answers from people that are in charge of your favorite sports team?

What impact would clear messaging from someone like Elias have on your fan experience?

More tangible things to latch onto during Twitter rants calling for his firing.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the major difference is watching Ravens press conferences. Look at harbaugh after last night. That is what accountability looks like. 

Update on how Philly rolls. Larry Anderson who is their radio color guy for home games basically laid into the entire organization right in the middle of the game. This was sparked off a Harper double where he was barely safe because he didn't run right away after hitting the ball. His rant continued into his frustrations with the organization in general the top of the next inning after Hammer walked another guy and had thrown 4 strikes and 8 balls. It was honestly what ever Philly fan up here thinks about their team and it was beautiful to listen to him rant. Live during the game...

13 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

I think the major difference is watching Ravens press conferences. Look at harbaugh after last night. That is what accountability looks like. 

Since this is about the media: are you saying that the local media that covers the Ravens act differently than the local media that cover the Orioles?

(I don’t follow the Ravens and hence have no idea what their coverage is like.)

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since this is about the media: are you saying that the local media that covers the Ravens act differently than the local media that cover the Orioles?

(I don’t follow the Ravens and hence have no idea what their coverage is like.)

Yes, there is a major difference.