2022 Offseason

Bahama O's Fan

I think it will hang on whether the decision makers decide to flop the switch. Elias’ comments were completely ambivalent, so can’t take anything from them, but if Grod and AR are really coming up in the first month or so it would be ridiculous to not try and give them a better team.

I dunno…

1st base/dh ~ mountcaste/Mancini 

2nd -Mateo

ss-urius

3rd-Gutierrez 

c-Adley after 1st month

lf-hays

cf-mullins

rf-Santander 

pitching-Zimmermann, Akins, grod, vet on 1 year deal , means

bullpen- god knows

im not saying this is what I want the team to look like! I’m just saying what is realistic 

7 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

2nd -mano

ss-urius

3rd-Gutierrez 

c-Adley after 1st month

lf-hays

cf-mullins

rf-Santander 

pitching-Zimmermann, Akins, grod, vet on 1 year deal , kreamer

bullpen- god knows

im not saying this is what I want the team to look like! I’m just saying what is realistic 

You think Means gets traded? And forgive me but who is Mano at 2b?

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

You think Means gets traded? And forgive me but who is Mano at 2b?

I assumed he meant Mateo but I’d switch he and Urias’ positions.

Other than that, I think he’s right about what they’ll do this offseason. Leblanc/Harvey type deal for a SP, with a possibility they bring in a SS because the market is flooded and guys like Iglesias or Galvis might be waiting for a contract come spring training 

• Upvote 1

I expect them to do more of the same bs they have been doing, all the while telling us that we need to “trust the process”.

Ownership won’t open up the checkbook and the team will need huge jumps in production and health from those already here to have a chance at winning 70-75 games.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

2nd -Mateo

ss-urius

3rd-Gutierrez 

c-Adley after 1st month

lf-hays

cf-mullins

rf-Santander 

pitching-Zimmermann, Akins, grod, vet on 1 year deal , means

bullpen- god knows

I think that infield would offer better defense than we’ve seen in quite a while. Whether it would hit collectively above the Mendoza line is another question entirely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I assumed he meant Mateo but I’d switch he and Urias’ positions.

Other than that, I think he’s right about what they’ll do this offseason. Leblanc/Harvey type deal for a SP, with a possibility they bring in a SS because the market is flooded and guys like Iglesias or Galvis might be waiting for a contract come spring training 

Galvis again?  Let me control my excitement.

• Haha 1

My guess for the 2022 OD roster would be something like this.

C: Rutschman

1B: Mountcastle

2B: Jones

3B: Urias

SS: Mateo

LF: Hays

CF: Mullins

RF: Santander

DH: Mancini

Bench: Gutierrez, McKenna, Ciuffo/Veteran Backup, Martin/Veteran UI

SP: Means, Veteran Free Agent, Zimmermann, Akin, Baumann/Lowther/A. Wells/Bradish/Ellis

RP: T. Wells, Lopez, Scott, Tate, Sulser, Harvey (if healthy)/Krihbel, Ellis, long reliever that loses out on the fifth spot.

I think Rutschman makes the OD roster, but if the CBA doesn't make major changes to the eligibility system, I could see the Orioles doing the same thing they did in 2009 with Wieters and Zaun and Rutschman is up in May.

5 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

As we begin the offseason for the O's, what are your realistic expectations for what Elias and co. will do? What would you do if you were in their shoes? Let's build this team!!

Sign 2 of Chad Kuhl, Vince Velasquez and Jose Quintana.

I couldn't tell you because I have no idea what to expect.  With our non-existent payroll obligations, burning clock on Rodriguez and Rutschman, and the available free agent pool in the next couple of years... 

I have no idea if we do one more dedicated stink year with no movement til next offseason, or if we gear up a bit to try to get closer to .500 and make flipping the switch easier in 2023, or if we just decide it's go time and load up now.  I honestly would lean toward the middle option due to having to add 40ish wins eventually to be competitive (and that's stupidly difficult to do in a very short span), but I honestly don't know.

• Upvote 1

It's time to start trying.  I have no problems with how we got here but I don't want any more top 5 picks for a long time now.  Spend some money, make trades, promote... whatever.  Start thinking about winning at least 70 next year and competing for the playoffs in '23.

56 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It's time to start trying.  I have no problems with how we got here but I don't want any more top 5 picks for a long time now.  Spend some money, make trades, promote... whatever.  Start thinking about winning at least 70 next year and competing for the playoffs in '23.

I agree. Time to start competing and bring the fans back.