2022 Offseason

Bahama O's Fan

I’d like to see 2 starting pitchers and a strong middle infielder.  I like each of Urias, Mateo and Gutierrez, but I think signing one more veteran infielder would allow these other 3 to rotate a bit around the other 2 positions and not rely on them so heavily.

I think Elias adds a SS, SP, Closer and a backup catcher.

I think he signs Mancini 2/15m

C Rutschman,  FA BUC

IF  1B/DH Mountcastle,  2B Mateo,  FA SS, 3B Urias,   DH/1B Mancini, Defensive IF Gutierrez.  When Gutierrez plays 3B Urias becomes the UIF, (Vavra and Dorrian in minors on 40man)

OF LF Hays,CF Mullins, RFSantander, 4th McKenna, Stewart (Nevin, Diaz and Neustrom  on the 40 man at AAA) Stowers at AAA not on the 40 man

Starters  Means, Rodriguez, FA, Ellis, (5th starter from Akin, Baumann, Zimmermann or Alex Wells) (Lowther, Kremer, DL Hall, Bradish on the 40man in the minors)

Relievers  FA Closer, Sulser, Lopez, Tyler Wells, Scott, Fry, Bautista ( Diplan in the minors)

I'm not sure about "flipping the switch" but I believe Elias and company will significantly increase payroll next year in an effort to win more games.  He has hinted at this in some of his comments which I have never heard him do since he was hired late in 2018.   I don't think we will compete for a WC per se but maybe we start to get near 70 to 75 wins.  Definitely interested to see how he addresses the pitching issue.

19 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Sign 2 of Chad Kuhl, Vince Velasquez and Jose Quintana.

Be still my heart ?

Our payroll is among the lowest in all of baseball and we have no long-term commitments. If we aren't even shopping in the Jon Gray tier of FA SPs, dispense with the pretense and just bring Matt Harvey and Wade LeBlanc back.

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias adds a [...] Closer

Complete waste of money and a roster spot for a team that won't even have a ton of save opportunities since they won't even sniff a .500 record.

Just let Wells or Tate or Fry handle it.

The way I see, barring any trades or injuries, these guys are basically guaranteed to be on the roster (Grayson and Adley may be late April/early May but I’m including them)

1st- Mountcastle 

LF- Hays

CF- Mullins

C- Adley

Urias and Mateo..some kind of a role.

Means, Grayson, T Wells, Tate, Scott, H Harvey, J Lopez and Sulser.

I realize some of those BP arms may not be able to be written in ink but I think the Os will at least start with them here and see what they can provide.

There are probably a few other names that can be put here but im Not as convinced on who those arms will be.  Akin and Zimmerman would be at the top of the list though.

Means, Lopez and Scott are the only guys on this list that are eligible for arbitration.  In other words, there is no money here.  That’s 11-13 players, at least, making about 600k.  Lopez and Scott may see 1M but doubtful it’s much more than that.  I would guess Means is in the 3M area.  So, that puts you around 12-13ishM for 14-16 guys (depending on your thoughts about Zimmerman and Akin).

In other words, there is a lot of money to spend.

Of course, what the do with guys like Santander and Mancini matter as well but even those 2 would only add 10-11M to the payroll.  You still have no money being spent.

Unless we seriously overpay, it's not likely the Jon Gray tier pitchers are going to be clamoring to play for the worst team in baseball.  However, if we sign a couple guys from the next tier, Kuhl, Velasquez, Quintana, etc., they could sure up our rotation and give our team a fighting chance to get back to respectability, especially if some of those guys revert to form.  Then add Means, G-Rod eventually, and perhaps one or 2 of Akin, Lowther or Zimmerman being decent, we could be a decently competitive team.  Once we hit that point, you then start making the big plays for the higher level tiers of pitching.

Of course, I won't complain if a Jon Gray is signed this offseason.  I'm just managing my expectations based on what I think is realistic.