2021 Orioles #5 Prospect - DL Hall -LHP

Tony-OH

On 10/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Philip said:

I am interested in what is the minimum acceptable walk rate for a starter.

There were 129 pitchers who threw 100+ innings this year.  Only 13 of them had a BB/9 above 4.0.  Now, some of them got away with it.    Lance McCullers had a 4.2 BB/9 but only a 3.16 ERA.   But overall, once your BB/9 is over 4.0, you’re in the danger zone as a starting pitcher.   Relievers are a different animal.   I see 138 relievers over 50 IP and 49 of them had a BB/9 over 4.0.   

I think Hall’s stuff is good enough where he might be able to succeed as a starter even with a BB/ in the 4.0 - 4.5 range, but if he wants to be consistently successful, it’ll have to be below that.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I just don't think we can ever expect to dominate the division for extended periods. We have three major market teams we are competing against plus Tampa, another well run organization. The law of averages says we might compete from time but it's hard to roll a five sided die and come up number one every time. Not only do we have to do everything right but you have to have multiple teams underperform for an extended period.

I don’t expect to dominate the AL East.   I’d like to be able to have a Tampa-ish level of success and have a legit shot at the World Series some years.   

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t expect to dominate the AL East.   I’d like to be able to have a Tampa-ish level of success and have a legit shot at the World Series some years.   

How is that different than Toronto-ish level? Whatever Toronto-ish level is, that would be a massive improvement over Baltimore 98-2011.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There were 129 pitchers who threw 100+ innings this year.  Only 13 of them had a BB/9 above 4.0.  Now, some of them got away with it.    Lance McCullers had a 4.2 BB/9 but only a 3.16 ERA.   But overall, once your BB/9 is over 4.0, you’re in the danger zone as a starting pitcher.   Relievers are a different animal.   I see 138 relievers over 50 IP and 49 of them had a BB/9 over 4.0.   

I think Hall’s stuff is good enough where he might be able to succeed as a starter even with a BB/ in the 4.0 - 4.5 range, but if he wants to be consistently successful, it’ll have to be below that.   

Did you find that at baseball reference? I was trying to find it on fangraphs And was unable to find that information

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Did you find that at baseball reference? I was trying to find it on fangraphs And was unable to find that information

I got this on Fangraphs.   You can select a minimum number of innings and then sort by BB/9.    You can also choose starters vs. relievers (though some pitchers do a bit of both).   

• 2 weeks later...