Giants claim Hunter Harvey off waivers

SilverRocket

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Kind of mind-blowing Harvey almost made it through waivers. Like, the rebuilding teams didn't even want to take a flyer

You would think the Dbacks would have taken a flyer. Or even Tampa - they claimed Hess of all people I think.

But Harvey is just a guy that's going to be tough to keep on a 40-man roster over guys you know are healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey is the exact type of player that we should be claiming instead of DFA’ing. Just like when we claimed Mateo. He was a former top prospect that just never put it together. 

Sounds good in theory... but then you'd need an 80-man roster to stash them all. Maybe in the next CBA... ;)

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

I will say, for those hoping for a Stewart or Diaz DFA, the Harvey DFA shows Elias won't hesitate to shed a former top prospect if they're a drag on the roster. I doubt we see Stewart or Diaz DFA'd just yet, but it wouldn't be a total shock at this point. 

Also, those aren’t his top former picks. They are from the previous regime. So looking at Stewart, Harvey, Grenier, all former top picks by the previous regime. It makes it a little easier for Elias to shed them. Like there would be a negative PR hit anyway. 

I kind of figure Elias has 8-10 minor leaguers to add.  Plus if he is going to act like a real GM he might make a signing or two that matter.

The Orioles need to start adding legitimate pieces to this team if we are expecting competion in the next three years.  This is a deep free agent pool and the Orioles need to participate because the economics demand it.

• Upvote 4

So I wonder about the timing, why does it matter when a particular guy is removed?

During the season there might be reasons for a particular timing, but in the off-season, at this time, with all 30 teams undergoing tremendous turnover, it can’t possibly be meaningful whether you Designate a guy on Monday or Friday.

All this hullabaloo about Harvey being Designated now instead of in January Really seems to me a tempest in a teapot. We can debate whether let him go in the first place was wise or foolish, but the timing seems entirely irrelevant. Any thoughts from the crowd?

35 minutes ago, Philip said:

So I wonder about the timing, why does it matter when a particular guy is removed?

During the season there might be reasons for a particular timing, but in the off-season, at this time, with all 30 teams undergoing tremendous turnover, it can’t possibly be meaningful whether you Designate a guy on Monday or Friday.

All this hullabaloo about Harvey being Designated now instead of in January Really seems to me a tempest in a teapot. We can debate whether let him go in the first place was wise or foolish, but the timing seems entirely irrelevant. Any thoughts from the crowd?

Because you don’t know who you are going to add.  There was anywhere from 3-7 players you remove before Harvey.  

The team isn’t going to be in the FA market, at least nothing that really matters. If they make trades, it’s likely trading guys who are on the 40 man for guys you don’t necessarily have to put on it.  Anyone signed to MiL deals, don’t need to be on the 40 man yet.

In other words, without knowing what you can or will do, there is no reason to make unnecessary cuts.  Btw, this goes for Ellis too.  I’m not saying he is great but the chances they add someone off of waivers better than him aren’t that high.

If this team was talking like the Rangers and saying they were going to spend big and try to compete now, I would look at things a little differently. I would have faith that they can cover up this decision by making other ones. But why should I, or anyone else, think that?  Why should I believe they ready to win and make the commitment to winning that they should?

Why should I believe that Elias is the man to make the smart decisions and build the Ml team properly?  I think Elias is very smart and I’m glad we have him but he has been a complete failure as a ML GM.  He has been a good minor league GM but a terrible ML one.  

People here just want to give him the benefit of the doubt on everything.  Why?  What has he done to deserve that?  If we were talking about the other pro sports team in Baltimore. I would get that.  But we aren’t.

And btw, people have made the argument that he has been with the organization for a while, blah blah blah.

Can you explain to me why that matters?  Name another organization in better position to be patient with someone than the Os?  They are a crappy team, have a terrible BP, don’t want to spend money and have very little reliever depth in the minors right now.

So why exactly do we need to be in a hurry to get rid of a potential power arm in the pen?  I think we all agree that the chances of him making it aren’t great anymore but that’s not the point.   

29 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Is it possible Elias is doing Harvey a solid by letting him go early so that he can land on his feet and try to take advantage of the next opportunity? 

Welp, he found out he wasn't that popular (28 no's) so there is motivation for him to get off the "Schneid".

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Because the January guys only come off if there is someone we are acquiring that we like better.   The guys least likely to help the club long term should be the first to come off the list.   You never know exactly how many players you will acquire, so generally you don’t DFA players until you have to.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Because the January guys only come off if there is someone we are acquiring that we like better.   The guys least likely to help the club long term should be the first to come off the list.   You never know exactly how many players you will acquire, so generally you don’t DFA players until you have to.

I think Mike is confident that having first crack at 29 sets of rejects will include multiple guys who are better than those we have cut loose.

He’s probably correct too.