Orioles plan on making noise at Winter Meetings

JTrea81

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buster Olney:

I think every one needs some dose of reality and that might be that nothing of too much significance happens at the Winter Meetings.

Right now, Abreu might have to settle for $8M a year; K-Rod for $10M a year; Sheets/Varitek/Garland might be best served by accepting arbitration.

I expect a lot more trades this offseason then in years past.

I couldn't agree more with Buster's take even though I think it's a year too early... I do think the players at the top of the market will get their money but let there be no doubt, offseasons in the following couple of years are more likely to look like the 2003/04 offseasons than they are the 2006/2007 offseasons. Here's hoping the Orioles are cognizant of where the market is going and don't buy too many players at the end of the peak leaving them without resources to buy when there is a lot more value to be had.

I read in an article on MLB.com that AM is like all other GM's "waiting for a few big dominoes to fall" (something similar). What are the big dominoes everyone is waiting for? Is it Sabathia? Tex? Burnett? The Yankees 1st move?

It's clear that the team needs to make several moves - and if we're waiting for the dominoes to fall to begin making them, we're going to miss opportunities.

I read in an article on MLB.com that AM is like all other GM's "waiting for a few big dominoes to fall" (something similar). What are the big dominoes everyone is waiting for? Is it Sabathia? Tex? Burnett? The Yankees 1st move?

It's clear that the team needs to make several moves - and if we're waiting for the dominoes to fall to begin making them, we're going to miss opportunities.

If we are truly interested in Tex & Burnett we shouldn't be waiting on anything.

If we are truly interested in Tex & Burnett we shouldn't be waiting on anything.

Boras wants teams to compete to drive up the price. We always assume things are the Orioles fault. If Tex wanted to be an Oriole above all he would have instructed Boras to give the Orioles an initial price parameter. We are putting too much stock into the Maryland native wants to come play for the team he rooted for as a little boy.

The only way the Orioles are going to make noise is if they handed out pots, pans, and metal spoons to all of the employees in the front office. Not that I believe that, but people around here do not see a glass full-glass empty scenario.... On OH there is no glass. :laughlol:

Boras wants teams to compete to drive up the price. We always assume things are the Orioles fault. If Tex wanted to be an Oriole above all he would have instructed Boras to give the Orioles an initial price parameter. We are putting too much stock into the Maryland native wants to come play for the team he rooted for as a little boy.

The only way the Orioles are going to make noise is if they handed out pots, pans, and metal spoons to all of the employees in the front office. Not that I believe that, but people around here do not see a glass full-glass empty scenario.... On OH there is no glass. :laughlol:

Not saying its the Orioles fault ...someone else said AM is looking for some chips to fall....Tex & Burnett are likely to be among the first few chips.

We are putting too much stock into the Maryland native wants to come play for the team he rooted for as a little boy.

Why ??/would you or I ??? No one knows for sure with Tex ...But it either matters to him or it doesn't...If it does its more important than squeezing the last million per year out of the Yanks or the Sox.

I want the Orioles to show me ....not tell me what they are going to do.

I dont drink the Koolaid & I'm waiting like the rest here.

I hate when people make generalizations about "The OH". Sometimes there's a consensus among our most active posters, but more often than not you can come here in any thread and find a variety of opinions.

Back on-topic...I agree...there are too many folks banking on Tex taking a hometown discount to come here. Money and winning is gonna talk in this one.

The latest from Spencer Fordin

ICON ALERT (specifically Mark Teixeira) -- Baltimore natives have been counting down Teixeira's free-agent clock for years, hoping the Severna Park, Md., native will make a grand homecoming. While they're not likely to land him, the Orioles are willing to bid high and should be among the teams in the auction all the way to the end. If the unthinkable happened and they inked Teixeira, it likely would require a change in organizational philosophy. And if Teixeira doesn't take the bait, the Orioles will be hoping that local resident A.J. Burnett ends up in Baltimore.
Source -- Orioles.com

So there you have it.

Spin away;)

I still believe that if the O's make the highest bid, they will sign him.

That being said, I'm no longer that confident that they will outbid the big boys and we can enjoy another year of Kevin Millar or whoever else playing a position that usually demands a much higher offensive output.

Grr....

I hate when people make generalizations about "The OH". Sometimes there's a consensus among our most active posters, but more often than not you can come here in any thread and find a variety of opinions.

Back on-topic...I agree...there are too many folks banking on Tex taking a hometown discount to come here. Money and winning is gonna talk in this one.

Well, obviously our opinions just matter more than anyone elses.

:D

(Not that I tend to ever be in a "consensus" with ANYONE :laughlol:)

The latest from Spencer Fordin

Source -- Orioles.com

So there you have it.

Spin away;)

You and he and Roche and several others have your talking points down to a science. And for good reason I suppose, until this organization SHOWS us they have the willingness to actual DO what's necessary, there's little reason to believe it.

Title of this thread is O's expect to make some noise at the Winter Meetings... Well, I've already seen the O's on MLBTR.com, The Sun, etc, in various rumors about Olson, Burnett, Tex etc. Isn't this noise? Does this define the end game of our process, look like we matter, but never really do?

Archived