Orioles sign reliever Rico Garcia

SteveA

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

My guess is a minor league contract, an  invite to ST and a assignment to AAA.

Could be a starter or reliever.

Garcia's background as a starting pitcher in MILB is likely the reason he was signed. Assuming Garcia makes a full recovery there is potential to vie for a starting rotation spot.

Not a monumental hurdle to jump with the current Orioles starting rotation if Garcia does well. 

30 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Garcia's background as a starting pitcher in MILB is likely the reason he was signed. Assuming Garcia makes a full recovery there is potential to vie for a starting rotation spot.

Not a monumental hurdle to jump with the current Orioles starting rotation if Garcia does well. 

I also see us maybe not having traditional 5 IP SP but a bunch of guys that can go 3-4 IP. Especially with the big bullpens. We might be able to maximize some of our current guys that reached the MLB potential. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I also see us maybe not having traditional 5 IP SP but a bunch of guys that can go 3-4 IP. Especially with the big bullpens. We might be able to maximize some of our current guys that reached the MLB potential. 

I've had the same thought, it really seems like baseball is headed in this direction. It's just a question of getting the right mix of pitchers and team making it work. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I've had the same thought, it really seems like baseball is headed in this direction. It's just a question of getting the right mix of pitchers and team making it work. 

Yeah no need to fit a square peg into a round hole. We should at least try and get something out of all these SP former prospects that have struggled. Hopefully we can sprinkle some analytics dust on them like Means. 

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

So what does Garcia have that Ellis did not?

I have not looked myself, so it’s a sincere question, but Ellis was credible in his time with Baltimore. It is curious why they did not think he had enough potential to keep..

Ellis:
  -- 29 years old
  -- career minor league ERA 4.92, WHIP 1.428, walk rate 4.1, K rate 8.5

Garcia
   -- 27 years old
   -- career minor league ERA 3.75, WHIP 1.313, walk rate 2.9, K rate 9.0

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah no need to fit a square peg into a round hole. We should at least try and get something out of all these SP former prospects that have struggled. Hopefully we can sprinkle some analytics dust on them like Means. 

Lopez showed over and over again that he turns into a pumpkin after a certain number of pitches, yet Hyde kept sending him out too long, and I’ve always wondered whether that’s because management rejects the idea of a short inning starter.
A piggyback with Lopez and a soft tossing lefty would drive teams mad.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ellis:
  -- 29 years old
  -- career minor league ERA 4.92, WHIP 1.428, walk rate 4.1, K rate 8.5

Garcia
   -- 27 years old
   -- career minor league ERA 3.75, WHIP 1.313, walk rate 2.9, K rate 9.0

Thanks, I appreciate that, But that doesn’t change the fact that Ellis had pretty good numbers compared to most of the crap we were throwing out there. Any reason we couldn’t keep both?

Edited by Philip

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thanks, I appreciate that, But that doesn’t change the fact that Ellis had pretty good numbers compared to most of the crap we were throwing out there. Any reason we couldn’t keep both?

I certainly feel there are a few guys we could have let go before we parted with Ellis, and Harvey.   I think that seems to be a nearly unanimous opinion around here.

Ellis was unclaimed and is a minor league free agent, he could well be back.   I imagine he and others like him will wait and see what organizations will likely provide the most opportunity to pitch once most major league free agent pitchers have signed and trades ahve been made.   By the time February comes around, I expect we will still be one of the more attractive destinations, so if we offer him a Norfolk contract like last year, he will probably take it.   At 29 with h is track record I don't expect any MLB team to offer him a major league contract.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Philip said:

So what does Garcia have that Ellis did not?

I have not looked myself, so it’s a sincere question, but Ellis was credible in his time with Baltimore. It is curious why they did not think he had enough potential to keep..

A mid-to-upper 90s fastball, for one. Pre-TJS, granted. 

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I enjoy that he threw 167 minor league innings in 2018.   How did his arm not fall off?   

If he can get outs, he will be asked to get more outs.

That’s an interesting comment, I have wondered forever why guys like Nolan Ryan and Fergie Jenkins would throw 330 innings like it was nothing, and now we’re happy if a guy gives us 150. In a way, those old hard throwing guys were like Stradivarius or Guarneri or Bergonzi Violins:  knowing as little as they did, they still made masterpieces, And all the knowledge we have today doesn’t equal what they did.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nolan Ryan could throw six reasonable innings right now.