Which of the remaining Free Agents are the best fit for the O's?

wildcard

If the main focus is to develop talent then the O's will not block players like Grayson, DL Hall, Stowers, Westburg, Gunnar,  Kjerstad, Mayo,  and Cowser.   They will want to see what Bradish, Baumann and Rom  develop into.

That pretty much rules out long term contracts to FAs.   Free Agents, waiver claims and Rule 5 draftees are used to fill holes while the O's high draft choice develop.

Elias wants to see what Urias and Mateos develop into if given extended looks. 

That will leave holes in 2022 with one year contracts at 3B,  maybe a SP,  depending on who is acquired in the Rule 5 draft Elias could add a reliever or two, and a better back up catcher.

I see Greinke on a one year contract with an option as a fit with he falls to the O's for 15m.   I think the Lyles contract shows Elias will be spend on a short term up grade  to the rotation. 

Tepera could be fit for the pen on a one year contract.

Chris Ellis on a minor league contract but he could make the opening day rotation while Grayson, Bradish and Baumann  start the season at AAA.

Josh Harrison could fit at 3B.  I am not sure Odor makes the opening day roster like Sanchez a year ago.

A veteran catcher like Suzuki or Robinson Chirinos  might be brought in for a year.

I think Elias would like better options at left-handed relief but I don't know who the candidates are.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Greinke isn’t an option for the Os.  Not sure why you keep mentioning it.  We aren’t spending 15M on a starter and he isn’t signing here.

Your point that he wouldn't  sign with the O's is a valid one.  He would have to fall to the O's.  Your point that the O's would not spend 15m on him is like saying that the O's would not spend 7m on Lyles.  Which turns out to be not true.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Your point that he wouldn't  sign with the O's is a valid one.  He would have to fall to the O's.  Your point that the O's would not spend 15m on him is like saying that the O's would not spend 7m on Lyles.  Which turns out to be not true.

You know 15 is a bigger number than 7, right?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Heck on a lot less then the 350m that Correa will get and you said he was a fit for the O's.

He is a fit for the Os.  He’s a SS and we have no SS and we have plenty of money to spend.  And we need real players.  Doesn’t mean we would sign him.  Of course I don’t believe that.

Your question was, who is a fit..your question wasn’t, who will they sign.

I thought Harrison would be the perfect fit for us prior to the Odor signing and he is still out there. However, I suspect with Odor we are done with position players. Any pitcher out there would be an upgrade but we also don't want too many veterans with so many pitching prospects needing to sink or swim this year. If we have any desire to win ballgames this year, I might prefer a veteran reliever with closing experience to another SP. Corey Knebel was my top pick but he has signed with the Phillies. Any of Blake Parker, Diekman, Boxberger, or Cishek would be great.

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He is a fit for the Os.  He’s a SS and we have no SS and we have plenty of money to spend.  And we need real players.  Doesn’t mean we would sign him.  Of course I don’t believe that.

Greinke is a fit for the the O's.  He's a SP and we have no SP and we have plenty of money to spend.  And we need real players.  Doesn't mean we would sign him.  Of course I don't believe that.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok

BTw, not sure how “real” Greinke is anymore.

Going out on a slight limb, but pretty sure he'd be better than anything else we will throw out there this year.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say chances are pretty solid he will outperform the Orioles 2-7 Starting Pitchers.  

49 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Going out on a slight limb, but pretty sure he'd be better than anything else we will throw out there this year.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say chances are pretty solid he will outperform the Orioles 2-7 Starting Pitchers.  

That doesn’t make him “real”, at least not in the way I meant it w/r/t Correa.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:49 AM, Sports Guy said:

This same logic goes towards Greinke.