Another mini camp to be held

Sports Guy

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point was pretty simple, if you wanted Adley to actually play games at that point in time the GCL was a terrible choice given the amount of rainouts they had.

The rainy season was very bad that year.

Who said the reason was for him to play games? It’s been obvious that they use FCL/GCL as the introductory league for new draftees. 

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I agree on the age front, but given he hasn't played since a pandemic shortened college season in 2020 and he's coming off a serious health issue I can see Elias slow playing a bit to allow him to get his feet under him as this will be his first professional season. The best case scenario is he spends more than half the season in Bowie and is one of our top prospects heading into 2023. But there's a chance he needs some ramp up time and struggles a bit out of the gate. So, yes, I hope he dominates Aberdeen and is in Bowie by early June and raking there, too. But, as long as he is healthy and holding his own in Bowie to end the season, I would consider the season a successful one for him. 

This ramp up/struggle point is true, but he will have a full spring training to ramp up, and he's been doing baseball activities for months. 

I agree with those who say it would be a red flag if he doesn't go straight to full season ball, and if THAT assignment is conservative, I don't expect him to spend a lot of time in that lower league.

59 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Who said the reason was for him to play games? It’s been obvious that they use FCL/GCL as the introductory league for new draftees. 

That was true last year, but not in 2019.   Our other top college picks that year, like Watson, Stowers and Ortiz, never played in the FCL/GCL.   They started at Aberdeen in the NY-Penn league.   That league no longer exists.   

As to why Rutschman started in the GCL, it could be because they wanted him to shake off some rust after his battle with mono, or it could have been kind of a good will stop.   Either way, it’s hardly worth revisiting that topic in 2022.   It’s really got nothing to do with where Kjerstad will start, which is the relevant topic now.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

That was true last year, but not in 2019.   Our other top college picks that year, like Watson, Stowers and Ortiz, never played in the FCL/GCL.   They started at Aberdeen in the NY-Penn league.   That league no longer exists.   

As to why Rutschman started in the GCL, it could be because they wanted him to shake off some rust after his battle with mono, or it could have been kind of a good will stop.   Either way, it’s hardly worth revisiting that topic in 2022.   It’s really got nothing to do with where Kjerstad will start, which is the relevant topic now.   

Ok fair enough. It does seem to be the case moving forward that draftees will go to Florida to begin their careers. Also, I don’t know why the fact that he did go there is a point of contention 2.5 years later, but it’s a slow news cycle while we wait for a new CBA. 

Referring back to the OP, there was another brief article in the Sun today providing details on this minicamp.  The text below stood out to me, in particular. 

We are perhaps uniquely benefiting from the timing of this lockout in that the players we are most interested in getting connected to the ML coaching staff are not yet on the 40-man roster, but are damn close to being so. 

If the lockout prevents any reasonable spring training for NRI's, we won't be harmed as much as I'd feared, since we're able to have this interaction now, beneficial to both the players and coaches. 

I haven't looked at the 40-man rosters for the Mariners, Marlins or Pirates to see if they're equally able to benefit, but I'd guess that very few MLB organizations are in the same position, where the majority of players they're hoping to work with in 2022 (abeit later in the season, or even 2023) are going to have one-on-one with their ML coaching staff at this point in the offseason, to help keep development on track.

Coaches.JPG

• Upvote 1